1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

limited or no connectivity

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ttoki, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ttoki

ttoki Thread Starter

so i just moved to a new apartment where i receive wireless internet service from the landlord
    the problem is that after a few hours of being online i get limited or no connectivity
    i'm not really sure if the landlord here has something that limits the amount of time one can be online but she's old and mean so she'll probably not care about my problem
    i wanted to know if there is anyway of making the system or whatever think this is a different computer? or any other suggestions any of you might have?
    thanks in advance,
    ttoki

2. bingo24

bingo24

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Does your landlady know that you're tapping into her unsecured wireless internet service? :rolleyes:

------------------------------------------------------------------

4. ttoki

ttoki Thread Starter

actually it's secure and i do have permission to use it
    it's part of what i pay
    the problem is you can be online for only so long then you get limited or no connectivity
    by the way i tried the winsockXPfix yesterday when i lost connectivity and it didn't work... any other suggestions?

5. bingo24

bingo24

Give this a shot http://compnetworking.about.com/od/windowsnetworking/ht/limited-connect.htm.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Check the area where your computer is at. You may be getting interference from a cordless phone or microwave or TV or some other device in your home. You may try moving it to a different location anyway, especially if it's a laptop and can be moved around easily.

Click Start - Run, type in NETSH WINSOCK RESET (exactly as you see it with a single space between each word), then click OK. A window will appear briefly, then disappear. Restart your computer afterwards. See if that helps.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!