Limited to no connectivity (1 out of 2 computers)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mourningsun2004

Alright so I'm no newb at working with computers, but i have ran into this issue that I cannot seem to work past, and I am really hoping for some valuable help. I have a Linksys wireless router and and running on time warner digital cable/highspeed internet. My desktop runs off the Wireless connection with no issues at all, but when i try to use my laptop or anyone else's laptop I cannot esablish a connection. I keep getting limited to no connectivity. I have read through some of the post's on here for fixing the issue, but it did not work for me. Will someone please help me out?

~thanks

mourningsun2004

I would also like to add, that I can use my laptop and get online at other places via wireless connection.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Top suspect is a mis-matched encryption key or MAC filtering enabled on the router.

TerryNet

Terry
Login to the router and disable encryption and MAC Address filtering. If connection is then successful you can probably re-enable encryption and reconnect.

mourningsun2004

hmm for some reason i am also having issues logging into my router :( I know generally the address should be 192.168.1.1 or a similar variation of it. any suggestions on a way around?

TerryNet

Terry
Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
(For Vista type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG

The Default Gateway is your router's IP address.

TerryNet

Terry
Your router may be dying. Try a reset or power cycle. If that doesn't improve things try a reset to factory default settings.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online