1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

limited user can't make Word template

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by aparente001, Apr 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aparente001

aparente001 Thread Starter

(Windows XP) I've made a nifty letter template (called myletter.dot) with my return address and so on; now I'd like to make one for my son, who is a limited user. I copied myletter.dot from
    Documents and Settings/me/Application Data/Microsoft/Templates
    into
    Documents and Settings/him/Application Data/Microsoft/Templates.
    But when I log onto his account, Application Data does not appear under Documents and Settings/him, and I can't load the template.

Thank you.

2. caraewilton

caraewilton

You could just copy the the .dot template into his my documents or even his desktop. Then when he wants to use the template, all he has to do is double click on the file. It works exactly as if it was stored with the other templates, except it is now much easier to find.

3. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

Application Data may be a hidden directory so make sure to enable viewing of hidden files and folders. in Window Explorer

(MY COMPUTER --> TOOLS --> FOLDER OPTIONS --> VIEW --> SHOW HIDDEN FILES AND FOLDERS)

You can also modify which directory Word uses for its template files by opening Word and clicking
    TOOLS >> OPTIONS >> FILE LOCATIONS >> USER TEMPLATES

Regards,
    Rollin

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702211

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice