1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Limited wifi connection

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Andrewttt, Oct 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrewttt

Andrewttt Thread Starter

Good morning. I'm hoping someone can be of assistance. Right. My grandad has a HP 110 desk top computer running Windows 8.1. He's 92 so not exactly a wiz when it comes to computers. According to him the computer done an update which took about 45 mins. After that he's not been able to connect to the Internet. He was using a wireless dongle as the desktop doesn't has wireless capability. I've been over and directly connected the router via Ethernet cable but the computer comes up with limited connection. So no internet. The router connects to other devices fine. Also I'm not a wiz with computers but have tried a few things. Even restoring the computer back to before the update. Still no joy. Any pointers would be much appreciated. Thanks. Andrew.

2. imstewart

imstewart

First Name:
    Ian
    Hi, You need to figure out what is not working. As you have said that you have connected via an ethernet cable and that other devices are fine. Which is a good start.

• Is the WIFI dongle device joining the WIFI network?
    • Are all the other devices connecting via wifi or ethernet?
    • Can you confirm that the Wifi dongle has been removed when you are connected over the ethernet.?

We need find the IP address that the PC is using, start a command prompt ( Press WIN & R, and type CMD), Type IPCONFIG /ALL, do this with wifi dongle attached and removed and using the ethernet cable

Also can you do this with another computer if you have one. Take a pictures of the results and post image, as this will allow to see what is going on.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!