Limiting my Wireless Connection

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

RsX

Today, I bought a new D-Link DI624 Ver.C3 AirPlus Xtreme G108 router, and am finished configuring everything. My main concern is the wireless connection now. I only have one laptop which I need the wireless connection for, therefore, I wanted to limit my wireless connection to my laptop. I do not want my neighbors stealing my connection from me.

With my previous router, the NetGear WGR614v6, it detected wireless PCI's in range to my router. Thus, I simply chose from the list, the MAC addresses of the wireless PC's I would allow to have access to my wireless connection. I was looking for a similiar feature with this new router.

I tried to configure it through the address 192.168.0.1, but haven't got the slightest clue of what to do when I clicked on the Wireless tab.

I will attach screenshots of WEP and WPA options. There is also WPA-2 and WPA-2Auto, but I figure it's one of WEP or WPA.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
Use WPA TKIP PSK
Enter a Passphrase that is at least 20 characters.

If all your hardware is WPA-2 compliant use that.

RsX

Thanks for your reply Squashman, I will try your recommendation out and see how it is.

Now I'm curious as to how the WEP functions.

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
RsX said:
Thanks for your reply Squashman, I will try your recommendation out and see how it is.

Now I'm curious as to how the WEP functions.
Don't bother. If all your hardware supports WPA use that. WEP is outdated and can be easily hacked these days.

TerryNet

Terry
WEP "functions" with the same basic algorithms as WPA but has been easily broken. WPA has not (yet) been broken. If your laptop's wireless adaptor also supports WPA2, use that, as it the new official "absolutely secure" encryption.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I'd also forget about SSID hiding, MAC filtering, turning off DHCP, etc. All that does is make it harder for you to use your network, it doesn't pose a significant barrier to anyone that's really wanting to hack your network.

RsX

Thanks for all your replies, it's very helpful, I can now go and put up the password for security.

RsX

Hmm.. one problem, I had put a password for WPA security, but my laptop cannot seem to connect when the password is enabled. It has "Limited or no connectivity". I tried restarting the laptop, but when I did, explorer LAGS for a while. In fact, the explorer didn't appear at all at one time, which made me shut the computer down.

Does this mean my laptop doesn't support WPA? If it is, are there any other suggestions in keeping my wireless connection protected?

It sounds like you need to log into the connection now.

Open Control Panel > Network Connections > right click on Wireless Network Connection

click on View available wireless networks

In the Choose a wireless network window , select your network, click Connect > type in the passphrase you set up on the router.

It should let you log on

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
The laptop wireless client will either show you WPA support or not. If it shows up there, it should support it. Make sure you have truly entered the same password, including the case.

The other issue makes be believe there's a different problem brewing, if you have the WPA passwords incorrect, it shouldn't have any effect like you described.

TerryNet

Terry
If your wireless adapter does not support WPA, almost always the manufacturer has a driver update on their web site.

RsX

@VirtualMe: I did exactly, but didn't seem to work.

@JohnWill: Hmm.. I've tried entering the password a couple of times, but still didn't work. Maybe I'll give it another try.

@TerryNet: I can't tell if my driver supports WPA or not. My wireless PCI is the "Dell TrueMobile 1300 WLAN Mini-PCi Card."

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
I can't tell if my driver supports WPA or not. My wireless PCI is the "Dell TrueMobile 1300 WLAN Mini-PCi Card."
When you setup a wireless profile it should let you select what encryption method you are using. You will have to select WPA-PSK, TKIP.

I would bet you have to download an updated driver for you wireless card. I had to for my Mothers TrueMobile wireless card when I setup her wireless as well. The new driver supported WPA.

RsX

@Squashman: Thanks for the info.

@VirtualMe: Thanks SO much for the links, looks like I'm not the only one who has issues with the WPA. Just a bit shaky that if I install the driver, something might go wrong. I will give it a try.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online