Limits on Powerline adapters?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

OM2

Can someone tell me what limits there are?

I have 4 ports on the back of my router.
Can I use all 4 ports to wire connect to different places around the house?

ALSO... do I need to make sure all are the SAME brand or model?

I did read there were limits - I can't remember where now

Thanks

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
the biggest part is the power wiring themselves. They need to be on the same power circuit or they won't work. Also the wiring needs to be good or you may run into interference with the speed.

As to the devices I would suggest keeping them the same.

Reactions: OM2

TerryNet

Terry
Can I use all 4 ports to wire connect to different places around the house?
I suppose you can; but do you really have such a huge mansion with at least four completely separate electrical circuits? With each section so large that you need power adapters?

If I had that situation I think I'd first bring in an electrician to see if he/she could install a switch panel and ethernet runs to everywhere that access is needed.

OM2

yes i have such a mansion - but that is in year 2020 ;)

right now, i need in 2 locations only

i only said 4 just to get a better answer (or at least that was my thinking)

OM2

wireless OK 99% of the time
it's for the 1% of the time that wired option is essential to have

I prefer ethernet. Sure I had to string ethernet cable, but it's not that much of a chore, just string wires along the baseboard with U shaped staples. With wireless, you have to worry about obstacles, microwaves and steel rods in pillars.

plodr

Liz
First you only use 1 port on your router to wire a powerline adapter. You can place other units anywhere in your home and wire up computers to them at wherever location you place them.
(If you put the unit into a plug that is not on the same circuit as the one connected to the router, performance will be poor).
The point of using powerline adapters is that you don't have CAT cable snaking all over the house. You just need a short wire from the computer(s) to the wall plug.

I have 1 unit upstairs connected to my router. I had 2 other units in the basement. I then can connect a computer to each unit OR I did use a switch and wired 2 computers to one unit.

Yes, the units should be the same model and brand.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online