Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindows?

842 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  jiml8 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever used Lindows as an OS? Is it pretty flexible when it comes to Windows apps? I read it had less errors than windoze :) I've been looking for Win98se for my new hard drive, but Lindows sounds like a good alternative. I'd use the Mac OS if I thought it would work...lol. ;)

#3 ·
HenryVI said:
What's wrong with Mac, they seem pretty capable of work to me.........why don't you use an actual distro of Linux, like Fedora Core 4 or Ubuntu or Mandriva (currently Mandrake) or Slackware???
I have the Mac OS on my Mac, I had no idea it could be put on a pc. It is definitely a reliable OS. I have Linux Mandrake on there, but it doesn't seem compatible with most pc apps. So, I wanted to see if I could use Lindows, instead of Win98se. It seems it would be cheaper, and I might not have the glitches (blue screens o death) that lead me into getting new pc in first place. :rolleyes:

#5 ·
idraw22 said:
I have the Mac OS on my Mac, I had no idea it could be put on a pc.
It can't be.

It is definitely a reliable OS. I have Linux Mandrake on there, but it doesn't seem compatible with most pc apps. So, I wanted to see if I could use Lindows, instead of Win98se. It seems it would be cheaper, and I might not have the glitches (blue screens o death) that lead me into getting new pc in first place. :rolleyes:
Lindows is just another Linux distro. It claims to be very easy to install and use, but pretty much any of the modern distros can make the same claim.

Using Linux as a replacement for Windows has a lot of implications. Windows software generally won't run, though using Wine you can get some of it working. For instance, I can (and occasionally do) use Microsoft Office on my Linux box. I understand that Turbo Tax runs well, and many other Windows productivity packages are at least useable.

There are native Linux apps that handle most of the functions that Windows productivity apps handle, though not all of them. I use Open Office to create/open/manipulate/save documents and spreadsheets in Microsoft Office format, when required to interface with Microsoft Office products. Open Office is a very nice office suite.

Virtually all Windows multimedia files can be handled using Linux. At this moment I am streaming a shoutcast stream into my Linux box (I am writing this on a Mandrake 10.1 system) and I practically never come across a multimedia file I can't handle.

My "main box" is Linux, though I have a number of Windows boxes as well, and I have an XP laptop. My Linux system interoperates quite neatly with all the Windows boxes and provides me with a substantial number of capabilities that Windows just doesn't have. However, I did have to put some effort into setting this box up.

Actually, I do still need Windows for some things, and on this computer I presently have two copies of Windows 2000 up and running along with Linux, using VMWare virtual machine to provide the hosting. So, in fact, I am running three operating systems simultaneously in this box.

Having Windows in a Linux window is pretty cool...

But, in any case, using Linux as a replacement for Win98SE has some profound implications and should not be lightly undertaken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.