1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Line conditioner needed?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by guacman, Jan 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. guacman

guacman Thread Starter

Ok, I have a lab that has 18 pcs. Recently, 3 of the machines have had power supply problems (burnt out). I'm thinking that I need to have these units connected to something more than just a surge suppressor. The machines are networked peer-to-peer, so there isn't a server, although there is a DSL modem connected to the network. Should I opt for something that will keep a constant voltage flow like a voltage regulator/line conditioner? If so, how many do I need? Each computer's power supply has a marking of 110V next to the power cord. What will will best protect these computers from any further power problems?:confused:

2. slipe

slipe

The solution for a single computer is a UPS. A single UPS to power all of your computers would be pricey and probably require a 220W input. Even power conditioners and line voltage regulators that can supply an entire computer lab will cost well over a thousand dollars and require a lot of wiring – assuming you currently have multiple outlets to supply individual computers or small groups.

APC has some good auctions on reconditioned UPS units. 18 individual units would be a cinch to hook up and cheaper than power conditioners. Even a cheap unit will allow the computers to sustain one of those short power outages that would shut down everything with a power conditioner.

The units seldom go for more than 3 or 4 dollars over the opening price. This one is just an example at an opening bid of about $30: http://auction.apcc.com/Scripts/ListingInfo.asp?LotNo=72031536&SiteCatNo=26529 There are only 16 units available, but there are often more. Auctions have differing rules, but with most I’ve seen a bid on 16 units at the opening price would bump anyone out with the same bid on fewer units. Here is a better unit for $70 and they just happen to have 18 of them: http://auction.apcc.com/Scripts/ListingInfo.asp?LotNo=71909709&SiteCatNo=26529 You might want to look in from time to time to see what is available: http://auction.apcc.com/

As you can see from this, the $70 UPS for each computer would be cheaper than anything you can get in a line voltage regulator or power conditioner for the 18 computers. http://www.furmansound.com/ACPower.html That $30 opening bid unit will adequately provide line current to the computers – just don’t expect too much time to shut everything down after a power failure. You can extend that time considerably by teaching everyone the keyboard sequence for shutting the computer down and not connecting the monitor to the UPS battery backup outlet. Most have a hot outlet you can use for that.

3. guacman

guacman Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to check that out. I wasn't sure how many computers a single unit would cover, so knowing that, I'll be sure to do my shopping around.

4. Monk_

Monk_

You may also want to consider finding out if you are in fact running votalges at higher that nominal levels, over 117 VAC. There could be an underlying problem that can be easily fixed and save you further expense and trouble. Burning out power supplies could be a coincidence or a symptom.

5. slipe

slipe

If you don’t plug the monitor into the UPS, you could probably run two computers per UPS. Don’t expect too much run time on battery though. And don’t boot them at the same time – your largest load is on boot.

6. guacman

guacman Thread Starter

oK, THANKS for all the replies. I just found out from the supplier of the power supplies that it may indeed be a power supply "problem". Apparently I am not the only one having this problem with these parts.

7. Monk_

Monk_

Post the maker so we wont buy any. LOL

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66012

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice