Lines and Artifacts on Screen.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

funkdmonkey

Two days ago small dots and lines were appearing on my screen. I swapped my LCD monitor with another CRT monitor and they both share the problem, so i doubt it is the monitor.

Today when i turned on my computer i had much thicker and longer lines/artifacts that go down the length of the screen. When I open a game such as WoW, the artifacts get much more frequent and violent.

Ive tried changing resolution, refresh rates, drivers, reinstalling DX9, opening and cleaning my computer, reinserting video card with a different power cable, disabling fastwrite in display properties....

Im running out of things to do! Its a unusual problem because ive had this computer since last November and this is the first time these artifacts/lines are appearing. They appear even in the BIOS and windows loading screen, although its not as severe.

Please help!

Does it happen in safe mode? If it does I would say your video card is fried........Does the card have a fan on it, is it running? The only other thing you could do is try a known working video card in the pc and see what happens........

funkdmonkey

It does happen in safe mode as well. The card has a fan that is running well. i took the card out and inspected it, and to my knowledge it was fine. It would take me a few days to get another video card to test, so im holding off that option for now.

I believe some sort of setting related to video display or more likely some power setting relating to my video card got changed or is no longer plausable.

Well, you said you uninstalled / re installed the drivers, so all the settings should have returned to default already. You could go into your BIOs and make sure you are set to default there as well.

Have you installed any new software recently?

I still think your card is on it's way out but I have been wrong before.....:p

funkdmonkey

The BIOS is fine, and no i havent installed any new software....i doubt any would cause this though.

funkdmonkey said:
The BIOS is fine, and no i havent installed any new software....i doubt any would cause this though.

Well, I don't know how detailed your BIOs settings are but some do have voltage and multiplier settings for your video card.................I just figured maybe check to see if they are set to default as you don't believe it is a hardware failure..........

funkdmonkey

My BIOS only monitors power settings. I cant change them or tell if its feeding the video card or not.

funkdmonkey

Also, it seems at random times the screen will clear up except for the mouse and other minor parts.

You could download ATI Tool and try different settings.

It is an overclocking tool but you aren't required to use it for that.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts