1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

LINK -FULL/COL -100 Linksys router lights

Discussion in 'Networking' started by danmitch1, Jul 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. danmitch1

danmitch1 Thread Starter

Hi guys,

I read the thread about router led's not all lighting up but i have a slightly different problem.
    My internet works fine on both my pcs connected to a linksys 4 port wired router.
    Before i moved to a new house the router's led link , full/col and 100 on the 2 ports i was using were all lit up .When i moved into a new place and set up everything things changed.
    One port had all the lights lit but the other only has 2, link and 100 .

The internet works on both pc's so its not the end of the world but i would just like to know
    why its not seeing my pc as full duplex if it used to .My ethernet card speed and duplex is set to 100mbps Full Duplex .

Kinda weird .

Any info would be great ! =)
    Thanks,

Dan.

2. O111111O

O111111O

PHY negotation. It's horrible.

If the NIC in your system is forced to 100/full, it won't look for PHY frames and won't negotiate speed/duplex. This will make the remote end assume that your system doesn't understand full duplex, but does connect at the correct MTL for 100MBps. Therefore, you have a duplex mismatch.

Set your NIC to auto/auto. Reboot. Should resolve it.

3. danmitch1

danmitch1 Thread Starter

Thank you very much , it worked ! :D

Im curious though ,what are PHY negotiation and PHY frames ?

Again thanks for the help !

Dan.

4. O111111O

O111111O

Physical Layer. Lowest possibly layer of communications. The actual signal on the wire.

Ethernet uses MTL signalling by changing the voltage state between specific levels never staying on the same voltage twice based on given clock rate. (That's why there are max cable distances)

Part of the PHY negoation is formed into frames that are a series specific MTL initiation pulses that Ethernet adapters go through to determine what the remote connection is capable of. That's why you can purchase 10/100/1000 adapters and switches nowadays. If the remote end isn't listening, then ASSumptions are made [often incorrectly] GIG isn't as susceptible, as it uses different MTL encoding and rules from 10/100. The only problem with GIG is that it can't really tell if CAT6 is plugged in.

It's pretty amazing how often all of the above happens in multi-million dollar networks.......

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483678

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice