1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Linked cell shows multiple reps of data from source cell

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by fred615, Feb 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fred615

fred615 Thread Starter

I copied a cell from sheet 4 and pasted a link in the target cell (on sheet 1) and the number that was perfectly shown in the source cell was shown twice in the same target cell on sheet 1 of the same Excel 2016 spreadsheet. I have included a partial screen shot of sheet 1 to show the actual image of the double number.

Bottom right cell is a link to the other worksheet (sheet 4) in the same Excel file and in that source cell the number is 12542.09…. For some weird reason, it is showing up here twice in the same cell. This is the second time in the past few days this has happened but the first time I was able to DELETE or CLEAR CONTENTS and it stopped doing that. But not this time.

upload_2019-2-22_11-44-8.png

I am running Excel 2016 on a PC with an Intel Quad processor under Windows 10 Home.
    Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. Keebellah

Keebellah Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Hans
    Hi, without the file it's difficult to say.
    Are you sure you haven't used concatenate.
    As you speak of a link and a formula, i assume that you're not running a macro to do this.

3. fred615

fred615 Thread Starter

I was not running a macro so I decided to use a brute force approach to fix this. I moved the cell in question one cell away and recreated the same link in the original cell. Presto! The link worked perfectly and then I just deleted the bad cell that I had moved. And it is gone..!

Thanks for your help!

4. Keebellah

Keebellah Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Hans
    You're welcome, but you're the one that did it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1223453

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice