1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

linking 2 xp pcs together

Discussion in 'Networking' started by game freak, Apr 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. game freak

game freak Thread Starter

i would like to link 2 xp pcs together, they would share internet access (broadband) @the same time.

ATM i am using cat 5 patch cable to link the two pcs together through a hub/ router i cant remember what it is.

1 pc into hub, 2 pc into hub, then hub into the surf box which then goes up to the internet.

am i using the wrong cable?

the 1st pc is the main one with 2 network cards, the 2nd is the smaller of the 2 and only has one network card.

the network card is a 10/100 so it should work.

please tell me what i am doinf wrong and if u need ne more info
    TIA

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Pretty simple. You need a Cable router.

The basics are typically:

1. Connect the CAT5 from the cable modem to the WAN port on the router.
    2. Connect the two computers to the ethernet ports on the router.
    3. Set each computer for DHCP.

3. game freak

sorry i aint very good @ this what is DHCP?

4. coulterp

coulterp

Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol : see http://www.comptechdoc.org/independent/networking/guide/netdhcp.html

The router is a DHCP server. If you set the PCs to "obtain IP address automatically" they will act as DHCP clients to the server which will allocate them each an IP address (and other necessary IP information). Means the PCs do not require IP addresses to be manually entered for them.

As Bob has noted the hub will not allow you to share the internet/broadband connection, you'll need the router.

5. game freak

thanks very much.
    how do u tell a router from a hub?
    is there ne way of telling that it is definately a router?

6. coulterp

coulterp

Usually I would expect to find a label saying "router" or "hub"! ; :D

Failing that I assume you can find the manufactuer and model number somewhere on the device and take it from there (document/web search).

Certainly on a broadband router there would be one port that was very definitely separate from perhaps a block of 4 others; that one would be to give access to a modem or perhaps phone socket and the block of 4 would be clearly the LAN ports. If you have any kind of web-GUI management/configuration pages for the device it's likely a router as hubs are very basic devices without such management facilities.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221527

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice