1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Linking Computers via Crossover Cables

Discussion in 'Networking' started by allsop, Apr 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. allsop

allsop Thread Starter

Hey guys,

I am trying to link my two computers together so one can leech the internet off the other. From what I understand, all I need is a network card in each computer and crossover cables (CAT6 I think). The computer with the internet is my issued DoD computer with XP and the other is my personal computer with Windows 7. The network will not recognize any computer that does not have the DoD software installed and I cannot get them to just install that stuff on my gaming computer. Is this possible? I know some guys used this method to get their XBOX's on the internet.

Thanks

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

My first question is this. Have you thoroughly read the acceptable use policy for DoD issued computers? And I'm dead serious about this. You don't want to be messing around with this; especially since your agency's IT department is unwilling to help you out.

3. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

I totally agree with the previous poster about using a Government computer in this way - in this country it would be a firing offence with a possible jail term. That said, it isn't connected to the Internet all by itself - it must be using some form of hub and you could, if permitted, connect through the same hub. That would mean your Internet activities on your own machine wouldn't interfere with the official box in any way. Are you talking about doing this at home or in your workplace?

4. allsop

allsop Thread Starter

I go to the Naval Academy and the computers they issued us we use for personal use. DoD software is installed so no one else can log into our own computers and it allows us to log into the computers in classrooms. Other than that, the only other stuff they put on our computers are security updates. We cannot play games with the computer issued to us because it blows ***. The only other way around that is to buy a new computer and use the same harddrive (with the DoD information). The computer I built worked for a couple months until they changed something that did not let anything on the network unless it has an ASUS motherboard. So now I have an $1800 computer that only gets internet through tethering my phone. People have figured out how to use crossover cables and use the school's internet on their XBOXs.

5. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Sorry but for me the choice is clear - and I wouldn't advise a British forces member on how to do this either. Surely if it's all above board, there's a senior somewhere in the Academy who can advise how to do it. Maybe someone Stateside will post some better help.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    In case you haven't yet had a course in basic logic those two statements mean that they are not interested in having you play games or use computers they haven't issued on their network. Or should I say "our" network, as I am a tax payer?

I addition to the other posters' advice on following regulations we have a policy here of not helping with getting around restrictions imposed by companies, schools, ISPs, etc. Closing.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918696

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice