1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Linking my PC to my TV problems...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by matt.choules, Oct 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. matt.choules

matt.choules Thread Starter

Right, i have s-video and RCA (composite video) out of my Radeon 7000 dual head graphics card, but my tv downstairs doesnt hav a SCART.

I need to run a lead 20 metres long to connect the PC and video.
    Will RCA cable degrade the picture quality too much over 20m of cable? If so, would coax cable be a better idea (using an adapter obviously)??

Matt.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

20 M of cable would be fine. Coax would be slightly lower loss possibly, although the characteristic impedance may be slightly different. You won't need adapters, coax should terminate just fine in RCA connectors as long as you don't go for fat coax.

The frequency of the composite video isnt too high, so losses will not be overly bad. Some roll-off of the hugher frequencies may show as softened edges, but at the low resolution you are working with out of a video card, you won't notice it.

3. matt.choules

Thank you! I think i will go for a coax cable with an adapter then (as its the cheaper option!)

4. matt.choules

Any idea where i might get an s-video (male) to RF (female) lead or adaptor... i can't see any on the net...

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Well, I am in New Zealand, so any local shops here might be a bit far away?

6. matt.choules

Just a tad! I've looked online, but can't seem to find anywhere...

7. jbcalg

jbcalg

try Radioshack , you may want to use different keywords when searching

they usually have everything, hopefully even someone on staff who understands what you want ;)

8. matt.choules

All sorted now... got am RF mod from eBay...
    All good!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171458

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice