1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Linking two networks?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by aschnyder1, Apr 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aschnyder1

aschnyder1 Thread Starter

Ok I’m running WinXP and so is my dad. We live about 5 miles apart. We both have home networks. I want to be able to access his shared folder on his network from my computer at home and allow him to access mine. Is this possible to access each others network without a program like pc anywhere? I am not to network savvy but with a push in the right direction I can usually figure this stuff out. Any input would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks
    :)

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Two choices come to mind but neither is exactly going to solve it the way you want.

1. One is to configure on of the computers as a VPN server, the other a VPN client. This will allow you to connect to shares on the server, but only one direction at a time.

2. The other is to FTP files back and forth. This also requires that they be each set up as FTP servers and you then need to manually connect to each one and copy files to the local computer before you can edit them.

3. aschnyder1

aschnyder1 Thread Starter

So basically we would both have to be sitting at our nodes, and use a third party program? It wouldn't be like actually being a part of the network,where you have real time access 24/7 would it? In that case I can use pc anywhere also right?

4. coulterp

coulterp

Presumably you would both have to be sitting at your nodes to use any solution; it is just not necessary for you both to be sitting at your nodes at the same time!
    To use something like VNC obviously requires someone to be sitting at one end; :) but as long as the other end is switched on it does not require that someone be sitting at it too.
    However it is admittedly more other limited than 24/7 full network access.

5. PcGrafix

PcGrafix

With PcANywhere you could do this as well, a bit easier than ftp or vpn as long as you leave the pcanywhere service running in the background on both pc's both of you should be able to route into the others computer fairly easily, Of course if you both have routers do not forget to configure pcanywhere and your routers on both networks to allow each other to pass through otherwise you will be clicking connect till you are blue and won't get anywhere.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224721

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice