1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Linking Website Forum to Member Email Accounts

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Deedledum, Nov 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Deedledum

Deedledum Thread Starter

Hi I am not a techy person AT ALL - you are forewarned, BUT, are there any smart alecs out there who can tell me on a scale of 1-10 how hard it might be to set up links from an online forum in a Drupal somethingorothered community website (I have NO IDEA WHAT DRUPAL IS!) to members' email accounts so that if they get a message on the forum, they will get informed via their email?

OK Yes, you're wondering why a dummy like me might be asking, maybe. Well, chances are there are lots of tedious steps in this process that it takes a dummy like me to sit an do... because she has no life ...and there are a few techy people involved in the http://www.nabuur.com forum, who might be hoping that a sucker like me might come along and do all the tedious stuff like perhaps setting up a database or editing a database.

I have no idea what I am talking about, but how hard can it be? I challenge you to take me on or even volunteer to help out on their forum and help get better communications between the privileged west and incredibly poor communities in under-developed countries elsewhere on our shared planet... Hey, remember "Do They Know It's Xmas"? lol :cool:

Cheers all comers D

2. Rockn

Rockn

Should this be in civilized debate? Drupal is a content management system so I am not sure it would help you manage a forum. Most forums like this already have all of the functionality built in that you are describing.

If they don't know it is Christmas they won't know they are missing it...if they really want to celebrate it in the first place.

3. Deedledum

Deedledum Thread Starter

I wasn't aware there was any debating going on! Hey I am wet behind the ears here. Perhaps you know something I don't. I am aware that the forum I am a member of is 'moving to Drupal'; that is the limit of my knowledge on the subject. Essentially the site acts as a forum for those in places like poor villages in Africa / Asia / South America, etc to contact people who may be able to access resources or knowledge for them to be able to get what they need for their communities.

The forum is essentially in development from what I can tell as a newbie and one of my frustrations is not getting notifications to my personal email when I get a message on the forums. It is not built in yet, hence my coming here for some advice to take back, even it be some snippet of code or set of destructions or a link to a 'how to' guide for me to check out.

In terms of your flippancy, to be perfectly honest, I might have been joking slightly to get a point across, but I didn't expect what comes across as callousness... There are huge Christian communities across Africa. whether you subscribe to those beliefs or not, millions of people in poor countries will in spite of their poverty and daily degradations, still celebrate those days in the calendar... Have a heart!

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

If you are not getting notifications from a forum based website like drupal then you probably didn't change the setting in your account to get notifications. That is usually how it works on all the forums I have been on and I am pretty sure Drupal has a notification option.

5. Deedledum

Deedledum Thread Starter

Thanks Squashman. I'll check that out, but I am not convinced there is an option:confused: I even mentioned it to another long-standing member and she suggested I talk to the site's development team. I left a message there.

If there is not yet this facility, any suggestions? On a scale of 1-10 how hard would this be to set up and how long might it take, if it is not as long as a piece of string? Cheers D

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025321

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice