1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

linking WORD documents together

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by jeffpsch, Apr 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeffpsch

jeffpsch Thread Starter

We have a number of booklets (i.e.: Volunteer Handbook, Mentor Handbook) that are made up of a number of documents (i.e.: Purpose Statement, Application, Guidelines.) We are looking for a way to be able to edit/update a document and have it automatically change wherever that document show up. For instance, we would like to be able to find the Volunteer Booklet and just hit print as well as find the Purpose Statement and just hit print.

I have the KuTools app and can see how I can split or concatenate the individual pieces, but I (or rather the others that would be printing these documents) don't want to have to go through that process each time the booklets need to be printed.

I imagine a macro could be set up to use the KuTools app to do this, but it seems like the might be an easier way.

Any advice anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

We are using Word 2010.

2. draceplace

draceplace

Welcome to TSG!!
    Why not find volunteers to help with this maintenance? Better yet, what you need to implement is versioning.

What you asking is do able. But by the time you write the code some will have move the document and the code wont work. You could have manually updated all documents 3 times for what it would take to maintain "automatically change wherever that document show up". This theory creates an 'out of control' situation.

The correct way handle this is to provide the correct version in one place (read only) and notify the people that care about the document(s) that a new version is available (much like software updates). Spend your time figuring out a good way to do versioning (ie. Handbook_ver1.4) and a distribution list to send the link notification and link to.

Your policy becomes: "I provide the current version here. I will notify you when a new version is available." The distribution then becomes responsibility of those who know where the documents need to be.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147512

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice