1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Links and internet explorer 6

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by KB OzTech, Sep 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KB OzTech

KB OzTech Thread Starter

Hi all, this is my first time here. My situation is quite weird but here goes: I'm running windows xp pro with service pak1. When i first installed the operating system, i did not have this problem. Somewhere along the lines, it happened. When i open my outlook express up and look at some email a friend has sent or any legitimate business, i go to click on the blue underlined link and NORMALLY it will bring up the internet explorer window and take me to that web page. In my case, what happens is, i click on the link and the internet explorer window FRAME does appear with the internet explorer title at the very top of the blue title bar and i do see the window flag icon moving in the upper right but the main window area is transparent and i can see my outlook express window behind it and nothing happens. The flag keeps moving like its trying to connect but never does. NOW, second scenario: If i right click on the link in my email and copy and paste it into the address bar of the internet explorer, the page comes up fine and quick like it should. This problem also occurs on some links, but not all, in web pages too. Not necessarily in outlook all the time. I removed internet explorer from add/remove programs, rebooted the computer and tried the same links again. Same thing happens. Of course, if i click on the explorer icon on the desktop to bring up the explorer, alls i get is the properties window, which i knew i would considering i just uninstalled it. I have cleared all cache, checked for viruses using house calls, panda, bit defender, avg antivirus, and even used spybot, adaware and nothing comes up. Heck, i even tried clicking on one of the links in one of the postings in here to try to go to a web site to download the hijack program and same thing happened. So, i had to copy and paste to go to it. I just re-installed IE6 and still doing it. Rather than have to re-install the operating system again, if anyone has any info on how to troubleshoot this dilemma i'm in, i'm all ears...Thanks

2. Miz

Miz

The fixes on this page have worked for me several times on a number of different systems.

3. BillC

BillC

All ears, huh? Are you Ross Perot? Just kidding. Well, I do not know if this will help, but take a look at Microsoft's repair page for IE and OE.

Hopefully someone here will have the answer for you. Not much help, huh?

4. KB OzTech

KB OzTech Thread Starter

Miz! thank you very much. I went to that link you posted and tried what it said to do. Everything i tried didn't seem to help UNTIL i tried running the regsvr32 urlmon.dll, shdocvw.dll, shell32.dll, oleaut32.dll, actxprxy.dll, and mshtml.dll all from the run command like it suggested and after i did that and rebooted, it works like a champ now. Thanks again.
    :D

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168101

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice