1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Links and url's always come up minimized

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Bob1190, Feb 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bob1190

Bob1190 Thread Starter

Always something new with puter!!

Whenever I click on a link or url, my screen will flicker, then I have to go to the system tray and maximize it. Is there a setting that needs to be changed?

I'm running XP Pro.

Thank you

Bob

I might get this puter stuff in the next 100 yrs.

2. Miz

Miz

I'm not sure I completely understand the question. Do you mean that any link you click on within Internet Explorer automatically minimizes the original Internet Explorer window to the task bar?

Or do you mean that links which open a secondary window open a half-size Internet Explorer window?

If it's the latter, here are the step to force IE to open secondary windows full sized:

Does the new window not show at all except for its icon on the task bar or does it come up half-size?

If it's coming up half size and you want all secondary IE windows to open maximized, here's the process:

1. Open IE
    2. Right click on any link on any site and choose "Open in New Window"
    3. Grab the new, half-size window by its edges and/or corners and stretch it to the size you want. Don't use the maximize button, you have to stretch it.
    4. Once you have it the size you want, close the original window first, then close the secondary window.

If you follow those steps exactly, all future secondary windows should open full size.

3. Bob1190

Bob1190 Thread Starter

Thanks MIZ. It's working OK.

What was happening was the link would minimize to the system tray. The original window would stay maximized. Then I would have to minimize it and then maximize the link.

If I would just click on the link in the system tray it would go somewhere off the screen to the upper right.

I right clicked on the link in the tray and clicked on "size". Then I dragged it to the size I wanted and closed the other windows and it is working fine. Hope this didn't sound like a lot of jibberish.

Thanks again for steering me in the right direction.

4. Miz

Miz

Glad you got it sorted out and thanks for posting back to let us know you got the problem solved.

For future reference (to avoid confusing those trying to help you), the Task Bar extends all the way across the bottom (the default position) of your screen and the System Tray is the small area on the right-hand end of the Task Bar where the clock is displayed. Dealing with things that minimize to the System Tray is usually quite different than dealing with things that minimize to the Task Bar.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116426

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice