Links between OE and IE not working

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rabbitwarren

Help, getting very frustrated. When I receive an email with a link to a website and I click on it, nothing happens as such, OE seems to attempt to access IE but then nothing happens. Noticed there was another question similar to this one but I tried everything in the replies for that one and they didn't work.

It was working one day and then not the next. I tried to download updates for the OE & the IE but everything is either saying that I have a newer version or I have to have IE6 and OE6 and according to my about that is what I have. Go figure. I don't seem to be able to reinstall OE or IE because the disc tells me I have a newer version.

I have not downoaded any new browsers, IE is default browser, and nothing seems to be working. I have rung Microsoft support and they were about as useful as tits on a bull, I have also rung my ISP and they couldn't help either.

You are my last resort before I reformat my hard drive and reinstall everything.

Close all programs

Click on Start>Run, key in the following and press enter

regsvr32 urlmon.dll

Click on OK when you receive the completion message.

If that doesn't resolve it, try the same command with the following files

Shdocvw.dll
Msjava.dll
Actxprxy.dll
Oleaut32.dll
Mshtml.dll
Browseui.dll
Shell32.dll (win 2k an xp only)

Also try running this program http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFIX.htm

What OS are you using?

There have been several instances where the previous tip using regsrv32 does not solve the problem with hyperlinks not working.
In this case try:

Open Internet Explorer
Go to Tools / Internet Options
Click on the Programs tab
Click on the Reset Web Settings button

rabbitwarren

I tried running the things that you said from another question by someone else who was having the same probs and they didn't work. At the moment I am copying and pasting the links but that doesn't work when it says click here and doesn't give me the link so I can copy it.

Tried resetting the internet tools>programs tab and that did nothing, now it is not even seem to be attempting to access IE.

Is there anything else I can try before I reformat the hard drive and start all over again. Not really keen on reformatting.

I tried running the things that you said from another question by someone else who was having the same probs and they didn't work.
Does that mean you ran IEFix?

Check your settings here
Go to my computer, view/folder options/file types (or control panel, folder options depending on your operating system.

Scroll down to the URL:Hypertext Transfer Protocols, click edit twice and make sure the following is in the application used to perform action box:

"C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\iexplore.exe" -nohome

The same applies for URL:Gopher

DDE should be set to: "%1",,-1,0,,,,
Application should say: IExplore
DDE application not running should be blank
Topic should be: WWW_OpenURL

sekirt

rabbitwarren

Just ran IEFix and nothing happened, still having probs. Checked URL thingy, and the boxes all say what they should say.

rabbitwarren

I think that is what is happening at the moment. Its doing a Windows File Protection scan at the moment and I had to insert my disk so I think it is trying to reinstall IE/OE. ??????

rabbitwarren

I didn't get any messages saying that there was a problem with the files and it automatically went to the page you suggested, problem has not been resolved.

It's unclear from your posts if you actually reinstalled IE. Did you edit your registry to allow reinstalling?

sekirt

rabbitwarren

I thought it was reinstalling IE but I don't think it did, I think it only did a scan from when I ran sfc scan. I'm not really sure on how to edit the registry. Going to 'How to reinstall or repair IE' now.

rabbitwarren

I went to the site and am trying to do what they tell me (Locate the appropriate registry subkey, right-click the IsInstalled (REG_DWORD) value, and then click Modify.) but I don't seem to be able to find this.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts