1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Links do not work for one user on certain pages

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by dougsilver, Feb 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dougsilver

dougsilver Thread Starter

I'm using WindowsXP Home Edition with Internet Explorer 6. There are two users on this machine--myself and my wife. Something strange has started happening when my wife is the "logged-on" user. When she is browsing certain web pages, the hyperlinks do not work (i.e., when trying to click the mouse on a link, nothing happens). I figured it must have been because of some program I installed or some other tweak I did so I restored the system to an earlier "set-point". That seemed to solve the problem but then it came back again.

If I switch users to myself, I have no problems on the same web pages that she had a problem with.

Any ideas as to what would interfere for one user and not the other?

Thanks.

2. dougsilver

I also discovered that if I right-click the link to copy the address, and then paste the link into the address line of Internet Explorer, I still cannot get to that page (nothing happens even when repeatedly hitting the "go" button).

This behavior does not happen if my wife uses another browser--only Internet Explorer.

Come on--there must be some expert out there with some insight as to what is happening?

3. Del

Del

Try going to your wife login, open IE and click on Tools > Internet Options then privacy. Lower the setting all the way and see if it helps.

4. dougsilver

I think I already tried that but I'll check. What is really odd is that on a given web page, this behavior only happens on some (but not all) of the hyperlinks. For example, when you go to the amazon.com home page, there is a search box where you can look for specific items. When we click "go", nothing happens. However, we are able to click on other hyperlinks on the same page. Ditto for my wife's SBCYahoo home page--most of the links do not respond (e.g., account profile, sign-out, check email) but some of the links do work (e.g., some of the news stories).

Again, this behavior happens whether we are trying to "click" on the link or actually enter the link url into the address bar. The same web pages work fine if I am the user that is logged on to the computer.

Seems like the most confounding problem I have come across in a long time.

5. sirsleepy

sirsleepy

i am having the same problem as you only mine is doing it as the admin not just user accounts. i can use other browsers just fine i have reinsatlled ie6 and repaired it. do you have a HP? just to see if it is the preinstalled xp they put in these instead of sending us the xp disk? just a thought

6. dougsilver

It's a Dell dude and I probably have the OEM WindowsXP disk (WinXP was preinstalled on the system). I did not know if it was possible to reinstall IE6 since there is no provision for uninstalling the program.

Don't take this the wrong way but I am relieved to hear that I am not the only person with this weird symptom. I couldn't find anything on the Microsoft support site, including the Knowledge Base.

7. sirsleepy

sirsleepy

i think i have had this problem ever since i got the ie 6 update to sp1...

8. Del

Del

How long ago did you install SP1?

9. sirsleepy

sirsleepy

not sp1 for xp but the Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (SP1) from microsoft.com like 5 days ago

10. Del

Del

Did you try to see if you can uninstall it?
    Not sure, I don't do any improvement from M$..
    Things normally get worse after.
    Or possible a System Restore to 5 days ago.

11. sirsleepy

sirsleepy

yeah i tried to go back and i went back like 15 days and still had the problem
    .. i just don't know what is the problem . its a good thing my dsl has a browser too. other wise i would be net free.

12. dougsilver

I still have had no luck with my installation. I tried following some knowledge base article on the Microsoft site that describes how to download and reinstall Internet Explorer 6 for Windows XP that that was an even worse catastrophe. The installation did not complete since the downloaded version was not "properly signed" for Windows XP. Leave it to Microsoft to provide a download that won't install.

So the immediate solution is for my wife to either (1)log on as me or (2)use an alternate browser such as the one that came with the SBCYahoo DSL package.

13. sirsleepy

sirsleepy

yep mine did the same thing as yours did wouldn't finish installing i had to try 4 times then it took ... i also have yahoo dsl.. what a coinsidence

14. dougsilver

So does that mean you were eventually able to solve the problem? I can't figure out how to get WinXP to install something that it perceives as "not signed" for WinXP. There does not appear to be an option to ignore this.

15. sirsleepy

sirsleepy

still "hangs" on some web sites but not as bad as before. so no not really but i did get it to reinstall ie6 and now it is in my add/remove and it does have the repair option.. i dunno. i just know it took me 4 times to install it for it not to say "driver not sighned stuff"

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119455

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice