Links in Outlook Express

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

RT

Hi, all.

Is there a way of creating links in a message using OE in word form?

By that I mean not just entering the URL, but having it come out like this.
I know this is vB code or bulletin board code, so do you have to know HTML to make it work in OE?

buck52

Banned
RT

Yes you can do it in Outlook Express with HTML but.....

Some e-mail clients won't recognize it. Not sure which will and which won't.

My father used to have Eudora for e-mail and those kind of links would not work for him ...I think he had the basic version...my sister uses OE and gets them fine

buck

RT

Yeah, I can get 'em fine (mostly from commercial sites) but I can't send 'em, - I know very little html....

This is what I figured, though.

Thanks buck, keep on havin' fun!

buck52

Banned
RT

I don't know much HTML either but I bought a book and just peck away at it just for fun :)

In OE I think you have to go to tools/options/ send tab and put a dot in HTML in the Mail sending format section.

If in an e-mail you wanted to send someone here the code would look like this

<*A HREF="http://forums.techguy.org/">Click Here<*/A> (omit the two *)

in your e-mail it would look like this

Click Here

I always try to have fun :)

buck

Hey RT. Yes, go and make sure you have html selected. When you want to hyperlink like you asked, highlight the word or words you want to use like you were going to copy and paste it. Then go to insert>hyperlink>place the url in the box and click ok. That should be all.

RT

Works like a charm! Thanks, DoyceJ :)

I always wondered why there was an insert hyperlink on that menu....I always just wrote in the url or do a copy/paste, and it would underline itself, showing me it was a valid link. So I didn't see the need for that menu option til now.

Sorry, buck, I couldn't get that code to work for me.

DoyceJ's way seems faster unless one was proficient in html.

I shall now once again impress my friends with superior knowledge, and eagerly await their pleas for me to help stamp out their ignorance :D

buck52

Banned
RT
I agree DoyceJ's way is much easier. I didn't realize that was what that was for either :)

buck

<font face="comic sans ms" color="#577ac6">Buck -

I don't really know what I'm doing,
(so don't ask me any detailed questions about it later),
but to be able to type something like</color></font>
&lt;A HREF="http://forums.techguy.org/"&gt;Click Here&lt;/A&gt;
<font face="comic sans ms" color="#577ac6">without having to put asteriks</color></font> * <font face="comic sans ms" color="#577ac6">into it,
so it will show up the way I want when explaining a code,
this works for me:

Instead of typing a</color></font> &lt; <font face="comic sans ms" color="#577ac6">I type</color></font> &amp;lt;
<font face="comic sans ms" color="#577ac6">Instead of typing a</color></font> &gt; <font face="comic sans ms" color="#577ac6">I type</color></font> &amp;gt;
<font face="comic sans ms" color="#577ac6">These are the Alpha Codes for</color></font> &lt; <font face="comic sans ms" color="#577ac6">and</color></font> &gt;<font face="comic sans ms" color="#577ac6">.

Or
Instead of typing a</color></font> &lt; <font face="comic sans ms" color="#577ac6">I type</color></font> &amp;#60;
<font face="comic sans ms" color="#577ac6">Instead of typing a</color></font> &gt; <font face="comic sans ms" color="#577ac6"> I type</color></font> &amp;#62;
<font face="comic sans ms" color="#577ac6">These are the Num Codes for</color></font> &lt; <font face="comic sans ms" color="#577ac6">and</color></font> &gt;<font face="comic sans ms" color="#577ac6">.

Now,
How did I type the</color></font> &amp;lt; &amp;gt; &amp;#60; <font face="comic sans ms" color="#577ac6">and</color></font> &amp;#62;
<font face="comic sans ms" color="#577ac6">and get them to show here,
without turning them into a</color></font> &lt; <font face="comic sans ms" color="#577ac6">and a</color></font> &gt;<font face="comic sans ms" color="#577ac6">???</font> ;)

buck, Sig, ya'll are killing me. I dont know how many times I have tried creating some html stuff in my email with no luck. But I never have a problem with the hyperlink thing. Maybe the sites I am trying to learn from just isnt getting it across well.

Sig, I like to think I am not a pervert, but, I keep waiting for the skirt to blow up.

buck52

Banned
Signature

Thanks for that..Seven^3 hinted at this in another thread.

&lt;A HREF="http://forums.techguy.org/">Click Here&lt;/A>

took a little snooping around but...&amp;lt; or &lt; :)

DoyceJ

Your way is much easier but ... When you have a new mail window open click on the view tab and click source edit then at the bottom click on source to see the complete code. Any html code can be added so long as it's between the body tags. You can click on preview to see it as it will appear...

buck

Does it matter where between the body tags or so long as it is between a........alright I cant do it......between a greater than and lesser than sign.

Sig, you cheat like I did.

</color></font> &amp;lt; &amp;gt; &amp;#60; <font face="comic sans ms" color="#577ac6">

RT

Sig's cool blue words are strangely calming, almost mesmerizing, ...

The avatar is hypnotizing and compelling...

the signature of Signature is totally cool...

OK, I confess, I did not actually type the code, (buck), I just did a copy/paste and left it at that. That's why Doyce's tip worked for me...frankly I'm thinking I'm too lazy to tackle html at this point on my only weekend off, so I went with what works straight away.

Signature, your modesty belies your talent and knowledge, you old smoothie, you. :)

(DoyceJ, like the "ya'll", I personally use "y'all")

I hear ya. If I only knew half of what Sig does.

y'all?? Shows your education and southern roots.

Want to see something that will scare you? Click on quote for Sig's post and peek at it.

buck52

Banned
<font face="comic sans ms" color="#577ac6"> Signature • DoyceJ • RT

I have learned lots from this post </color></font>
<font face="comic sans ms" color="#FF0000">Thank You</color></font>

<font size="4"color="olive">B</color></font><font size="4"color="Magento">u</color></font><font size="4"color="Black">c</color></font><font size="4"color="Cyan">k</color></font>

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online