1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Links not working in MS Outlook emails since upgarde to Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by MelbMuso73, Apr 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MelbMuso73

MelbMuso73 Thread Starter

Hi all,

I recently upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit), and have since found that hyperlinks in Outlook 2003 and Word documents do not work. After reading about the same problem on other forums, including Outlook 2007 users, nobody seems to have found a solution that has worked yet (hopefully).

The message that pops up when clicking on hyperlinks is as follows...

This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator.

A Microsoft support member on one forum posted this as the reply...

Have you tried using Set Default Programs for Internet Explorer within the Control Panel? If not, please follow the steps below in order to do so.

• Click the Start Pearl, and select Control Panel
      [*]
      Within Control Panel, click Programs
    • Underneath Default Programs, select Set your default programs
      [*]
      In the Programs list, highlight Internet Explorer and click Set this program as default
      [*]
      Click OK
    This should set Internet Explorer to open as the default for opening hyperlinks.

Apparently, this helped some people, but not me...

It seems this is quite a common problem, so I hope someone has the answer to solve it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

MelbMuso73

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I would try resetting Internet Explorer itself -- but note in IE8 this may result in some add-ons being removed and may need to be reinstalled (I'm not sure just how thorough this reset is).

You may also wish to check the "edit registry part 2" in the link below if that seems to apply >>

http://www.slipstick.com/problems/link_restrict.htm

There are some other possibilities covered there as well.

3. MelbMuso73

Thanks for your suggestion. Not sure if it applies to me, since I'm only using Google not Chrome, and IE8. What do you think?

I should also mention I've set IE8 and MS Outlook to run as the default programs, but I still encounter the same problem.

I came across this link too, but am not sure if I'm game enough to try these suggestions on IE8, when the suggested solutions are only for IE6 and 7.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310049

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

5. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    You may be using IE, but did you install Chrome and uninstall it, that is the real problem?

When uninstalling Chrome, some settings that were with it gets removed and the NO browser will have these settings.

6. MelbMuso73

Thanks, guys...

Rog, I tried that link. Even after I was told that the resgistry change was successful and a restart, the links problem still occurs.

DaveA, you've made a good point, because I did install Chrome when I first used Windows 7, then uninstalled it.

Would any suggest that I restore my settings pre-Chrome installallation period? What would be the consequences if I did? Would I lose e-mails or data, etc?

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If you have a System Restore point that predates this, by all means try it. There is nothing to lose since you can always reverse the restore to a more recent date. One should be created when you do the restore.

It should not affect any personal data.

8. MelbMuso73

I tried the system restore, but I can't seem to find where it will allow me to select a date to where I want to restore back to, which seems really illogical. It's only 'recommending' where it will restore the system back to just before any 'signifcant changes' were made... the furthest being yesterday, when I need to go back only a few days.

Checking out other forums, so I'll post any helpful additional info I find here.

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I just discovered that Win7 only creates an automatic restore point every 7 days IF no other restore points have been created.

I liked the older, every 24 hours version better.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa378910(VS.85).aspx

By the way, have you tried testing this issue in another User Account, either existing or creating a new one?

Also it probably won't hurt to run sfc /scannow on the system -- but I doubt it will really address this problem.

If you run out of possible solutions and you don't want to do a clean install, you may need to create a new User Profile/Account.

But I would also try an IE reset if you have not done that yet.

10. MelbMuso73

Funny thing is that the only 'significant change' within the last 7 days that was picked up was when I uninstalled the XP Mode today. It didn't recognise that I'd uninstalled Google Chrome about 4 or 5 days ago. Maybe that wasn't significant enough.

I haven't tried testing using another User Account, but I was seriously considering just doing a clean install.

I'll try the IE reset and see how that goes.

11. MelbMuso73

No success after the IE reset and restart.

12. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

IE related problems can be profile specific as different settings and caches are used for each acccount.

If you find it only works in a different account you can copy data from one to another using the method here >>

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

You could also try a repair of the Office version you have installed.

Also there may be some updates available that could help.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916602

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice