1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

links producin black screen

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Nerothefiddler, Feb 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nerothefiddler

Nerothefiddler Thread Starter

For the past couple of weeks sometimes when I click on a link in an email or on a web site, I get a completely black screen, with one white pixel in the middle. Sounds funny but is rather frustrating!.
    The tab reads GIF image 1x1 pixel. It seems to be random, and sometimes happens on such well known sites as the BBC, and The Guardian newspaper. I normally us the Firefox browser.

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

3. lunarlander

lunarlander

I have read that the 1x1 pixel image is used to identify your browser details.

4. Nerothefiddler

Thank you Phantom 010 and lunarlanding, for your posts.
    Sorry for the delay in replying.
    Tried uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox,and the suggestions contained in your link,Phantom without success.
    My OS is Windows 7. Not sure I understood your Win7 link lunar. Although not a novice,am far from an expert. Can you please explain your link in simple terms.
    Although Firefox is my preferred search engine, have tried Chrome and Maxthon with the same result.
    Which would indicate that Firefox is not the culprit.
    Have also tried a different monitor with the same result.
    Black screens with a varity of causes seem to be a commonplace, but endless searches have not revealed my particular problem.
    It has become like an itch I can't scratch,so would appreciate any suggestions that may lead to solvin the problem!.

5. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    The three you mentioned are browsers. Search engines are things like Google, Yahoo, Bing, DuckDuckGo, Startpage and a few lesser know search engines.

The email links and website links could be trying to take you to unsafe places and one of your security programs is protecting you.

When this happens, please right click and copy the link location.
    Post the link here BUT put [ code] in front of the link and [/ code] after the link so no one will click it should be be an infested site.
    I had to put a space between [ and c when you do this, do not put a space there.

6. jenae

jenae

Hi, it is rare these days, however a link invokes the urlmon.dll, and it may have a register problem, to repair, go to start, search and type:- cmd right click on the returned cmd.exe and select 'run as administrator" at the prompt copy paste all below in red:-

regsvr32 urlmon.dll (press enter), you should receive a success message, restart your computer

7. Nerothefiddler

Thanks for your replys
    jenae
    tried your suggestion, no joy I'm afraid.

plodr
    Not sure how to do as you ask. When I Rt.click on the link I get three alternatives.
    Copy shortcut.
    Save target as ....
    Select all.
    Which one do I use?.
    Not sure if it is any help but it only occurs with email links.If I go to the Guardian newspaoer web site for instance, and click on the same story it comes up with no problem.
    Could it be a problem with Windows Live Mail, my email client?.

8. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    It could be a problem with the links in the email. It usually doesn't say "copy shortcut". I get copy link location rather than a copy shortcut.
    Don't select any of them because it would not give the proper url location.

9. Nerothefiddler

It does not seem to apply to all the email links. Is it pissible to re install Windows Live Mail 1012, without doing a complete reinstall of win7?. Is there a newer version of Windows Mail?.

Perhaps a complete reinstall of win7 would be the most certain way of a cure.

10. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Sorry, I don't use Windows Live mail so I can't answer your questions about a reinstall.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142394

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice