1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Links, windows, pop-ups will not open...HELP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Evie, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Evie

Evie Thread Starter

~~ :eek: HELP PLEASE~~~I am unable to open links and attached windows when I need to move to another part of a page or window. When I click on a section or link to open, the window pop ups but it is blank and there is no activity on the window to show that it is attempting to open; and it just sits there. Somtimes, the STOP and REFRESH button shows up on the top of the page and I can click "STOP", then "REFRESH" and this allows the page to open but alot of times these features are not available and I just have to close the window and am unable to gain access to the information or page I am attempting to see.
    I have enabled cookies, I do not have a pop-up blocker activated and no firewall so I cannot understand why certain windows open and certain ones won't. This problem occurs at random, there is no particular site or anything when this happens.
    Gosh, I hope someone can help me; this is so very frustrating.
    Thank You in advance for your assistance and support in this matter
    Sincerely, Evie :confused:

2. rude

rude

Do you have sp2 installed on your computer?

3. Evie

Evie Thread Starter

Ok Mr. Rude,
    I am not too bright when it comes to some of this computer lingo stuff, so please tell me what is "sp2"? I am not sure if this is installed or not. So let me know what this is, k
    Thanks for getting in touch!
    Sincerely, Evie

4. Jakbrud

Jakbrud

In order to check if you have sp2:
    right click on my computer ----> properties ---> under system it should say if you have sp1 or sp2

5. Evie

Evie Thread Starter

Hi Jakbrud,
    Thank You for getting in touch with me.....it saids Service Pack 2 so is this what is giving me my problems and can you help me fix it, whatever the problem may be? I am interested to know why this is happening.
    Thanks again for your support and assistance
    Evie

6. rude

rude

Try this:
    At the top of this page,under the "Tools" menu option,select Pop-up Blocker and then you can select Pop-ups you want to allow or,alternatively,you can just turn the Pop-up Blocker off.

7. Evie

Evie Thread Starter

Good Morning Mr Rude,
    I had already selected the pop-up blocker in the tools menu to be disabled. You know what, even in opening the link from my email to your specific response, I had to click the STOP button and then the REFRESH button and it allowed that link to open. But alot of times, there is no tool bar so I can't cheat that way to get things opend up.
    Wow, this is driving me bananas and oranges! LOL
    Thanks for your continues help, I really appreciate it and look forward to you further advising me on how to resolve these issues.
    Evie

8. mike5532g

mike5532g

Okay, lets try this, first make sure there are no open programs (no minimized programs on the taskbar).

Then click start> click run> in the open run box type regsvr32 urlmon.dll (note the space between regsvr32 and urlmon.dll) and click ok.
    When you receive the "DllRegisterServer in urlmon.dll succeeded" message, click OK. Now try to open another window.

9. Evie

Evie Thread Starter

Hi Mike,
    I did as you instructed....still the same problem. I attempted to click on the link that was posted in my email and I could not open the link unless I click on "STOP then "REFRESH" and at the top of the page it saids "No Page to Display" but I was able to open the link. This is the weirdest thing to me.
    Maybe you have another idea to help me. Please let me know
    Thank you for your help
    Sincerely, Evie

10. mike5532g

mike5532g

Download Internet Explorer Fix. Extract the file to your desktop.

Open IEFix.exe and put a check in skip running sfc and skip reinstalling from ie.inf and click apply.

Internet Explorer Fix

11. Evie

Evie Thread Starter

Mike, Mike, Mike,
    YOU ARE THE MAN.........WOW......i think my problem is fixed. Oh my gosh, if I could I would give you a great big hug and a kiss on the cheek. I have been so very flustered by this problem and would have never ever fixed it on my own. How can I ever thank you? Well, from Texas to Oklahoma, here is my BIG thanks from me to you!
    So, shall I keep that IE fix file on my desktop? Or is it possible the issue I was having could occur again?
    Thanks again my dear, you have been a lifesaver for me
    Sincerely and with overwhelming appreciation, Evie

12. mike5532g

mike5532g

Your very welcome, glad to help. :D (y)

As for that IE fix, keep it. Good old IE will mess up again someday and you want to be prepared. I suggest using Firefox, instead of IE. It will keep you safer while surfing the web. It is set as my default browser.

It you must use IE, consider using IE-SPYAD and SpywareBlaster. Both are free and considered must haves by many.

13. bobol

bobol

Just to tack onto mike's advice..... Use Firefox for your main online surfing [like many of us here-with Spyware blaster too] but keep IE about also to pickup your Windows updates that you occasionally check for manually.

14. Evie

Evie Thread Starter

Good Early Morning Bobol,
    All advice and comments are truly welcomed and appreciated so allow me to thank you for taking the time to contribute. You too are a definite asset to this team of advisors that have come to my rescue in helping me to resolve my problem. Thanks!
    Sincerely, Evie

15. bobol

bobol

(y) no problemo... you learn and we learn too,...never ends :rolleyes:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327061

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice