1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Linksys adaptor vs AirPort Extreme

Discussion in 'Networking' started by lilzilla, Oct 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lilzilla

lilzilla Thread Starter

I've seen similar questions posted here, but I'm experiencing a different and somewhat more aggravating problem. My Linksys WUSB54gc worked fine with the old linksys router, though the router itself was noncromulent. We've just replaced the linksys router with an AirPort Extreme. The adapter is in line of sight of the thing, about 20 feet away, and customers with their laptops haven't had any problem connecting the network. In fact, we don't have any problem connecting to it . . . it just won't stay connected. After 5-10 minutes the connection craps out for no apparent reason. Windows' "repair connection" usually works, though often Windows has an incorrect idea of its connectedness - it'll be saying something like "windows could not repair the connection" or "not connected", but firefox provides empirical evidence to the contrary.

Any ideas?

Details:
    Dell desktop running Windows XP, 2002, with SP2
    Linksys WUSB54gc, with up-to-date driver (1.0.2)
    Apple AirPort Extreme, I just updated the firmware this morning (7.2.1). There's no security on because we're a cafe; customers have not reported any problem with the network.

There are no other wireless adapters on the machine, and I've disabled the ethernet adapter just for kicks. There have been several reboots since the problem started. There are no other networks in range. (Though there's a slight possibility the customers might be connecting to the network next door, which isn't visible in the office.) There is a lot of metal around near the AirPort and the adapter, and there's a microwave in the vicinity, but connectedness does not appear to be correlated with microwave use.

Edit: more details on behavior. Sometimes it cuts out briefly (as evidenced by google not loading) and fixes itself. During that period Windows' "wireless connection 2" panel "not connected" by our network name (which has excellent signal) but has labled the button at the bottom "disconnect". The taskbar icon remains the little computer with a red X. Other times it does not fix itself. I'm trying to actually time how long it takes for it to fail.

Any suggestions would be welcome!

Thanks
    lillie

2. bogyi

bogyi

seems like airport signal is conflicting with some others electronic devices.
    try move the airport to another place which is far from electronic devices as you said like microwave, etc...
    see it works.
    and the wave that is used in router is also smilar to the wave from cordless phone.

good luck :)

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    One possibility is the Linksys wireless utility and Windows' WZC both running. Which are you using, and are you sure that the other one is not running?

4. lilzilla

lilzilla Thread Starter

Using WZC because of the memory leak in the linksys monitor. The linksys one is definitely off. This is the same setup we used with the old router, which did not have the problem of randomly disappearing.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/637176

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice