1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

LINKSYS and ACER with Wireless

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Keebellah, Mar 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Keebellah

Keebellah Trusted Advisor Thread Starter

First Name:
    Hans
    Hi, I have a network using a LinSys BEW11S4 where upon advise of LinkSys support I updated the firmware to vs 1.50
    No problem there, some more options when configuring etc etc, most of this is abracadabra to me, but I have it working, No problem there,
    One Windows XP PC attached, On Windows 98 SE attached, a netdisk, and since some time a LinSys Printserver (the only problem is the lack of 2-way comms to check ink levels)

Ok, my daughter has an ACER laptop with built in WiFi and that works OK, but at unexpected times and with no plausible reason whatsoever the whole connection is lost to the 'outside world' and I have to unplug the LinSys router an replug it to activate the connection. Resetting the ADSL modem which is up front does not help, only the router.

Configuration: ADSL moden <---> Linkys Router <----> the 'network'
    This all happend after the Firmware update and beforte the print server.
    Anybody any idea? Suggestions? LinSys does not answer my mail so that's why I placed it here. :confused:

Thanks,
    Hans (y)

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "... my daughter has an ACER laptop with built in WiFi and that works OK, but at unexpected times and with no plausible reason whatsoever the whole connection is lost... "

The one laptop loses its connection, or the router loses its connection to the modem?

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If resetting the router is the fix, here's some things to try first.

Some things you can try here.

1. Change the channel on the router, I like channels 1, 6, and 11 in the US.
    2. Update the firmware to the latest version available on the manufacturer's site.
    3. Reset the router to factory defaults and reconfigure.

Many times these measures will resolve a lot of intermittent issues.

4. Keebellah

Keebellah Trusted Advisor Thread Starter

First Name:
    Hans
    Hello John,
    Thank you for the tip, but I did all that including the channel settings.
    The strange thing is that it happens just like that. I have tried to keep track of what my daughter was doing and also asked here to keep track of this to see if it arises when you download, surf or whatever.
    The router's logfile does not show anything, the connection is just lost.
    I think this is one of those 'bit and byte black holes'.
    Do keep me posted if you find something, at least I'm still busy with it, I am one of those that cannot accept 'it happens' and then leave it.
    Thanks again,
    Hans:confused:

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The router may simply be dying. Faced with this issue, I think I'd try to borrow a router or shop for a cheap one and see if that solves the issue. In the US, there are really cheap deals on broadband routers at times, $10 or less, but I don't know if the same kind of deals exist where you are.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "I am one of those that cannot accept 'it happens' and then leave it."

Are you working on trying to find an answer to my question? :)

7. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

are all machines wireless or do wired machines work ok.

when i look at data for the router you have , it doesn't show firmware 1.5 but 1.44.
    did you upgrade the correct firmware?

i'm unclear if everythings ok except the laptop dropping out.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!