1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Linksys and XPpro SP2 not connecting

Discussion in 'Networking' started by saelruth, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saelruth

saelruth Thread Starter

I MAY HAVE JUST SOLVED THIS...AGAIN...I DON'T HAVE FAITH HOWEVER AND KNOW IT WILL FAIL AGAIN...SO I WOULD STILL WELCOME IDEAS FOR A PERMANENT FIX. (I just went back into the modem\router config and reset the channel and it suddenly worked -- I have done this before though)

:confused: I'll start at the beginning. I had a rather new Linksys Wireless GS network adapter on an old laptop (with XP pro). I needed to get a new laptop, but decided not to get the internal wireless because these things always improve and the externals are stronger. The Linksys card will not connect. I get the signals, but it won't connect. I bought a cheap card to check and see if it was the card and it works fine except the signal isn't always strong and I lose it occasionally (even though I'm 3 feet from the router/modem). Someone suggested the SP2 patch for this and the winsock fix and a few others and it worked for 1 week. Now it's gone again (because I travelled to and from work with the computer). I got back home and it couldn't connect. Today, it suddenly connected -- for about 10 minutes. I had to reboot and it was gone again. Just prior to its working again, I did run ipconfig /release and then /renew. That won't even work now as the computer can't seem to find the adapter.

Wireless connections are picked up when I search for any in range.
    All device drivers seem to be fine
    The computer acknowledges the fact that there is a network card in the pcmcia slot.
    BUT IPCONFIG says that this card is "disconnected"
    I have Fsecure A\V and Firewall (even with firewall off...same probs)
    And...the computer freezes a lot when trying to adjust network settings.
    I've checked the router settings and they seem to be fine.

Linksys can't seem to help me -- actually, I told them about the winsock fix. Alienware...well, they are extremely unhelpful and I'm losing patience with them. (they never respond to emails) I can't call right now because I'm out of the country and the phone bill will just be terrible.)

Since this computer was never able to use the Linksys card but can use another, I know the problem lies there, but it just doesn´t make sense. I´m almost at the point of stripping this computer and starting all over, but then I keep thinking...Alienware should do this. It keeps losing it's ip and dns addresses...I'm sure this is the route of the problem.

Any suggestions, help, anything...would be greatly appreciates.

Thanks!

2. melonhead

melonhead

Have you tried uninstallin the software AND removing the wireless router via the device manager and then reinstalling everything?

3. saelruth

saelruth Thread Starter

Unfortunately, I'm under the impression that I've tried EVERYTHING... This obviously cannot be possible if I'm still finding a fix every other day. For some reason it keeps losing it's footing and settings keep slipping out. But, never the same settings or I'd have one thing to blame. I thought virus or trojan...can't find anything though. I have taken everything out and replaced everthing.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327171

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice