1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

linksys ezxs44 ethernet switch with cable modem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by slayer, Jan 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. slayer

slayer Thread Starter

i recently built a third computer for my network, added a cable modem, and got what i thought was an unbelievable deal on a linksys ethernet switch (ezxs44 4 port)..... free.
    now for the problem: i have an ericsson pipe rider cable modem, 3 linksys lne100tx nic cards, and the ethernet switch. i've treid to connect my machines and the modem through the switch the same way i connected the 2 computers before(pc to pc with cat 5 cable), it didnt work and it locked my system.
    basiclly i am asking for somone to tell/show me how to hook everything up so it functions correctly, i've tried to no avail (ive reset all the configurations for the nic card in my main machine and am only running it with the modem (the original windows/roadrunner software configuration). do i have to change the cat 5 wiring diagram?, what seetings should i use on the nic cards?, and what do i do with the cable modem settings.

let me know what you come up with(i'm getting desperate, .................my girlfreind...........MY computer)

thanks again

2. brianF

brianF

I would think one of your cables is wrong.

check the ends of the cables, make sure the same wire colors are going to the same pins, sounds like you have a crossover cable going from modem to switch.

3. slayer

slayer Thread Starter

thanks for the reply,
    I thought of that and checked, then i tested ech cat 5 by using it from the modem to my nic, the cabels are fine, the ports on the switch read individually, just not when everything is plugged into it at once.
    so its either that i need to configure the modem with my isp, and the nic cards, or just the nics, i'm not sure of what to do or what the settings might be.

4. brianF

brianF

Try this guide http://firingsquad.gamers.com/guides/lan/default.asp

there are three of them, get the lan portion of the networking working, then deal with the modem

Does your isp allow you more than one ip address, if not your going to need a router or proxy server.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!