1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Linksys G wireless to Zoom X6 problems

Discussion in 'Networking' started by docaudio, Dec 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. docaudio

docaudio Thread Starter

I've a thin spot on my head trying to figure this one out. I have a reasonably happy 4 computer network at home all running Win2000 sp4 tied to a Zoom X6 DSL modem/router.
    3 are wired and one is wireless - everyone sees the internet and each other (using passwords)
    Now I'm trying to add a Compaq laptop running Win2K and a Linksys cardbus wireless-G adapter and not having much luck. If I set the card to dynamic IP and auto DNS, I get no connection to access point and, of course, no internet. I have no encription set, reports correct SSID, and signal is good. 'Ipconfig/all' lists the IP address as 0.0.0.0 with IP Routing and WINS proxy listed 'Yes', DHCP 'Yes', Subnet 255.0.0.0, and Default gateway and DNS servers are blank. I have tried 'ipconfig/release' and it reports that the "addresses are already released". I then did 'ipconfig/renew' and it reported an error "could not perform request - please remove NIC cable and reboot". So I shut down the card, removed it and rebooted, reinstalled and no change.
    I then went to static IP addresses and set it acording to what the router was reporting - I'm not sure if this is what HAS assigned or WILL assign if it sees the card. Anyway, I WAS able to get to the access point with static IPs but still no internet. I checked the browser setup (Firefox 1.5.xx) to make sure 'direct connection to internet' was checked. The other computers correctly reported the laptop and was able to transfer a large file to and from with no problem.
    Ok.... now what?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Check for applicable services running--especially Dhcp client.

3. docaudio

docaudio Thread Starter

Is that what is reported as 'Yes' in the 'ipconfig/all' listing?
    Anyway, I have de-installed everything and tried a different card (Linksys) and still it doesn't assign the proper ip setings when in 'dynamic' mode. Is there a corruption in the OS? Something I can check in the registry?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    With XP you check which services are running via Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services. I'm guessing that 2k Pro is similar, but I'm not sure.

5. UNIKSERV

UNIKSERV

2k pro is similar to XP.

docaudio you can also check device manager (right click My Computer> select properties> select the hardware tab> click on the Device Manager button) and see if there's an exclamation point or question mark beside the adapter after you install it. You can also take a look in the Event Viewer (right click My Computer> select Manage> expand the Event Viewer by clicking on the plus sign) and see if there are any error messages that correspond to the times when you've had problems. Look through all of the log files. Another place to check is the services, you're looking for any services that are set to run automatically but are in the status stopped.
    Let us know how that goes.

Joe

6. docaudio

docaudio Thread Starter

Everything looks good in device manager. I looked in services and found DHCP was not started and so set it to start automatically. I now get an IP address assigned but it is not anything related to the router addresses. Also, the card will not work at all - connection wizard crashes- by setting static IPs (probably because I've forced DHCP to start). I've run hijackthis to see if anything looked odd and didn't see anything. I've also set the built-in firewall to it's lowest setting. I'm starting to run out of ideas....
    -Bill

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Check all your services (i.e., compare with a working PC). If one was turned off, good chance more are also.

8. docaudio

docaudio Thread Starter

OK, I set the card back to dynamic IPs. I than checked for anything odd in the registry concerning old drivers and such left over from the Linksys card I used to have and cleaned up any references to it. Still no luck.
    I then moved closer to the router (in the same room) and WAS able to get a proper IP (with a 100% signal strength). I then slowly moved away and found that at about 77- 80% signal strength, it would drop the IP and either go back to 0.0.0.0 or to some address that is not at all related to what the router was issuing. If I moved back closer - bingo! - I got the the proper IP again. Now, here's the real problem - I don't want to stand in the hall to use the computer! I would like to use it in the garage which is one wall away, but gives me about a 60-65% signal strength and this is where I was doing all my testing.
    So... is there anything I use to boost the signal out of the X6? It does not look to have a removable antenna. I have an older home with plaster walls - single storey.
    Thanks for all your help!
    -Bill

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    IMHO 60% signal strength should be sufficient. Are you possibly moving into an area where interference is greater? Major interference generators are other networks on the same or close channel and 2.4Ghz cordless phones.

You don't need internet access to test your wireless, so you might want to move the router with the PC so that you have a very strong signal and see if you still have trouble connecting in the garage.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/524313

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice