Linksys Lag/Disconnections

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Legato107

Im having these ridiculous lag spikes and brief disconnections with my Linksys WRT54GS. It is happening on both of my networked computers. There were no lag spikes or disconnections when the modem was directly plugged into the computer. I did some speed tests and got inconsistent results, sometimes it would be in the 3500-4000kbs range, which is what we payed for, and sometimes it would be anywhere from 100-2000kbs with the download meter pausing multiple times. I have all firewalls off, filters off, latest firmware, DMZ configured correctly according to Linksys, no security (Which is the way I like it.), no viruses or ad/spyware, all correct ports open. My OS is XP Home with SP2. On the internet it often takes extremely long for images to load and they often stop loading halfway, I cannot play any games online because of the constant disconnections. Any help would be appreciated. There is also a 2.4ghz cordless phone in the house, but unplugging it hasnt changed the results.

Legato107

Already went through that, they went through all my settings and said its all set up fine, and that the router my be broken. Thanks for the suggestion.

Legato107

Yes! I fixed it!! Turns out I was fooling with the modem to see its model, and I felt the top of the router, where the modem was sitting. It was extremely hot, so I moved the modem and after the router cooled down the problem was fixed. :D

Legato107 said:
Yes! I fixed it!! Turns out I was fooling with the modem to see its model, and I felt the top of the router, where the modem was sitting. It was extremely hot, so I moved the modem and after the router cooled down the problem was fixed. :D
Whoa!!!! Can't do that!!! Gotta have that cooling air circulating all around anything electronic or it'll overheat. You're just lucky it didn't get so hot it caused permanent damage.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts