1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Linksys NC100v2 network card troubles

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by besseme, Jul 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. besseme

besseme Thread Starter

Okay, so here's the problem.

Not too long ago, my computer crashed. I had to reformat it, and in the process, lost the files to my Ethernet card. Since the disk it came with is in Tuscaloosa, I downloaded the driver files from driversguide.com.

They're not working.

I was thinking that the problem might be because the system said "other" on the set I downloaded (it was all I found at the time) but I later found the same driver on the site that said the system was for Windows 98. However, when I tried updating the driver, it said that the one I had installed previously was the most up to date. I tried making it download anyway, and my computer just froze.

Anyway, to get back to the point, the card is still not working. I'm not sure exactly where to go from here, since I've managed to screw it all up thus far. So! I would like to hear what all of you suggest.

I'd rather not have to keep using my USB slot for my modem. :(

2. norton850

norton850

Where did you download your driver from?

3. onsite

onsite

take the linksys card out go to someones house that has either a floppy drive , you will need a floppy also, got one ? or a cd burner. Look at the card. Linksys has at least 5 revisions for their network card, so at there web site, i think in support look for the picture of your NIC ( network interface card) download the driver for your OS unzip copy to the floppy or burn to a cd.

4. besseme

besseme Thread Starter

Well, I looked on their site first, and they no longer support NC100v2. They support the first version, but not the second. That's why I looked at driverguide.com.

Which answers the question the previous person asked: driversguide.com is where I downloaded the card from.

5. norton850

norton850

Yes I noticed that only v1 had a driver listing. I also saw that there was a live chat option. You might ask them if that driver will work with your card.

6. replay

replay

7. onsite

onsite

fortunately new NICs are about $10

8. besseme

besseme Thread Starter

I'm like, 24th in line in the live chat. I was able to reinstall my driver again with the site that replay provided, but I am still unable to connect to the internet. I tried putting my modem on standby and off, but I don't know what the problem is. All the lights are properly lit up, regardless of whether I connect via Ethernet or USB. however, I can only access the Internet via USB.

The only thing I can think of is there is a message popping up when I try redownloading my driver that says one particular file would be an older version, and it asks if I want to keep the recent version instead of stalling an older one. Since I don't know what all uses the file, I was afraid to overwrite it, but now I wonder. Should I try reinstalling that file, too?

Are network cards really that cheap?! I thought they were like, 40 or 50 bucks. I might just get a new one. If the site that made this one refuses to offer support for it, it's porbably because it sucks.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!