Linksys NR041 Networking Problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rtv3k

I just recently set up a DSL network at home and some problems have occurred with it.

First off, here's my setup:
Linksys NR041, Arescom NetDSL 800 series modem, only 2 comps.

The network between the two computers works perfectly, but the internet connection will disconnect at random moments, sometimes every 5-10 minutes, and I will be forced to unplug both and reconnect them to get internet back. As you can imagine, this can get very frustrating. Before it disconnects, it also frequently displays "A network cable is unplugged."

All of the cables are connected correctly, but I do have one of them running about 30 feet across a hallway. Before we got the network, the modem alone ran perfectly. Do I need to get new cables, check on the health of my modem, check the router, or is there something else I should do?

bassetman

Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten
Check and/or replace the CAT 5 cables. You may have a damaged one. A very frustrating situation!

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
If the network between the two computers works 100%, and they're plugged directly into the router, the fault has to lie with the modem, router, or the cable between them. Start with the cable, it's cheaper. :D

If you suspect the router, I'd do a factory reset on it, and only configure what you need in the WAN section to get on-line. See if that helps the situation.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online