1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Linksys Phoneline network card

Discussion in 'Networking' started by rfcjr, Nov 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rfcjr

rfcjr Thread Starter

I was successful loading and getting to work a Linksys hpn100 phoneline network card on a Dell 90 Optiplex with Windows 95. Due to another problem I had to uninstall the program and card and then try to reload everything. I cannot seem to get the system to load the linksys card driver from the CD. It keeps wanting me to insert the win95 cd to extract drivers and of course it loads the wrong drivers. NOWAY have I been able to load the drivers from the CD. After inserting the Linksys CD to get the drivers it goes to the screen where it asks for a computer name etc. After hitting ok on this screen several times it just goes back to the original (previous) screen without loading anything. I have removed the card and all entries and even physically removed and reinstalled the card. I would certainly appreciate any help one could suggest. Thank you.

rfcjr

2. Rockn

Rockn

It is trying to also install system files from the Windoze CD also. Any time you install network items like protocols, etc. it will look for the source files on the CD. Just point it to D:\Win95 or whatever your CD-ROM letter is when it asks for the CD. Uninstall all the drivers, reboot with the NIC in and when it detects the new network card insert the Linksys CD first...after it asks for the Windoze CD follow the instructions above. There is a way to keep Windoze from asking for the CD if you copy the Win95 folder from the CD to your local drive and make a small registry change. Run regedit and go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

edit the string for SourcePath and change it to C:\Win95

It will never ask you for the CD again!!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!