1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Linksys Router and AT&T Modem: "cannot connect to primary DNS server"

Discussion in 'Networking' started by nicolez, Mar 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nicolez

nicolez Thread Starter

Thank you in advance for your help.

I just bought a Linksys Router model BEFSR41 and installed it step-by-step. Everything appeared okay until the last step of the Setup CD. The bar loaded 99% and then said "Router not found."

I called Linksys and we tried for an hour to fix the problem. Finally he said it must be a defective router. So I exchanged it for another. Still the same problem with the new router.

When I open my Network and Sharing Center, it says I'm connected to a local network but not to the internet. When I diagnose the problem it says "cannot communicate with primary DNS server 192.168.1.254." :(

Does anyone know how I might fix this? I've tried to reset the router and also to power down everything and power back up.

I have At&t DSL internet. The modem is a Motorola. I'm running Windows Vista.

Thank you so much.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What is the model of your Motorola modem? My guess is that it is a modem/router combination unit, such as the 2210. If so, you can

a. Make the Motorola work as a modem only as described here.

b. Change one of the routers to use a different IP address range; for example, change the Linksys LAN IP to 192.168.3.1.

c. Use the Linksys as follows ...

JohnWill's procedure (Aug. 30, 2008) for configuring a secondary router as a switch and, optionally, wireless access point follows.

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together.

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. [You will not need a cross-over cable if one of the "routers" is a computer.] Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

For reference, here's a link to a Typical example config using a Netgear router

3. nicolez

nicolez Thread Starter

You are right it is a Motorola 2210-02. Sorry I did not put that before.

Thank you for taking the time to help me. I'm going to try out the methods you listed and hopefully it will work. Thank you.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I probably wasn't clear--those 3 methods are independent alternatives. Choose the one that looks best to you.

5. nicolez

nicolez Thread Starter

I got the internet to work by changing the ip address in the router setup page to 192.168.2.1. The computer is hooked to the router and the router is hooked to the modem and I can access the internet. I can't access the internet if I disconnect the cable that is coming from the router to my cpu ( i thought the point of a router was so I could use my cpu wirelessly.) I bought the router mainly so I can hook up my Roku netflix player. I'm so frustrated. I thought this setup would be simple. Any ideas?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Are you trying to connect a computer by wireless? If so, do you detect the network? What happens when you try to connect? Try to connect and show ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

If you are trying to connect the Roku can you give us a link to the user manual or setup instructions? And, what exactly are you doing and what is happening?

7. nicolez

nicolez Thread Starter

TerryNet-Thank you for helping. I'm trying to get a wireless connection setup with my router to my Laptop. Once I do that i can set up the Roku player. The setup cd I have for the router still says "router not found" although i now have a wired network going through the router.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6001]
    Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Nicole>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Nicole-PC
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-22-5F-78-8B-DF
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell Yukon 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet
    Controller
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-23-AE-24-12-F9
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::8d3f:8ea9:f25f:50f2%11(Preferred)
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.100(Preferred)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, March 31, 2010 7:21:27 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, April 01, 2010 7:21:26 PM
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{AE9E13B2-4F55-44E0-A20B-3BF007DB8
    0F4}
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01
    IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e74:1020:2c5d:3f57:fd9b(Pref
    erred)
    Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::1020:2c5d:3f57:fd9b%10(Preferred)
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{0837270A-0C10-4F79-AB82-0A6ED5D05
    4B3}
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0

C:\Users\Nicole>

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I find it very convenient to copy the user manual onto my hard drive for easy and quick reference. Then put the CD away somewhere that you will not be tempted to use it again.

Just type 192.168.2.1 into a browser and login to the router and find the wireless section. There you can set the SSID (network name) to what you want.

Then try to connect by wireless. Make sure your Dell computer's wireless adapter is switched on--toggled by the Fn + F2 key combination, and there should be a blue LED that shows off or on. There may also be a Dell WLAN utility to switch on and off.

After you get a connection you can then enable encryption on the router--preferably WPA- or WPA2-PSK and reconnect by wireless.

9. nicolez

nicolez Thread Starter

I checked and my wireless card is turned on.

The interesting thing is that when I get on to the router setup page I do not see a "wireless" tab anywhere. I'm so confused as to why that is, do you know?

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Now I do! After looking through most of a manual I finally read the introduction. Hate to be the one to break the news, but the Linksys Router model BEFSR41 has no wireless capability. :(

11. nicolez

nicolez Thread Starter

Aww darn. My fault!! I didn't read the box close enough, just bought the one that looked like my old wireless router. But hey thanks for all your help, you're a lot smarter than that Linksys tech I talked to and I learned a lot. What kind of wireless router would you recommend?

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Belkin (although many will disagree), D-Link, Linksys, Netgear, Trendnet and ZyXel. Maybe the best router for the money these days is the D-Link DIR-615. Often can be found at buy.com, amazon.com and frys.com (and probably other places) for $40 to $50. I have no financial interest in any of those companies or products; I have bought from the 3 retailers and find them reliable and quick.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/913683

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice