1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Linksys Router and Linksys Network usb Adapter

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Shorelady, Jun 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Shorelady

Shorelady Thread Starter

Hi,
    I have a dell xps420/vista. I took my old computer a dell/windows 98 down to my basement to use in my workshop. I wld like to hook it up wireless. I bought a Linksys RangePlus Wireless Router which I successful connected. (with help fm Linksys-they had me type in 192.168.1.1)

I also bought the Linksys Range Plus Network usb Adapter. I ran the cd on my new computer and got lost when it stated to input my ssid and webkey. I now stopped and have no clue.

Can anyone help?
    Also-this may be a stupid question...but does that little brown usb thing go to my old computer? I also don't want to hook it all up unsecure. I am getting confused. I'm no computer wizard. Just an old broad still thinkin' she can do pull through this nonense.

shorelady

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What CD did you run on your Vista? And why?

Assuming you have internet access with the Vista connected to the router via ethernet, login to the router and find the wireless section and set the SSID (the name of your wireless signal) to something you like (e.g., ShoreLady).

Install the USB wireless adapter on your old PC; and I do hope it has a driver for 98 'cause many go back only as far as 98SE. That installation will include a Linksys wireless utility (I think Linksys may call it a "monitor"); use the utility to search for your wireless network. Connect to it and make sure you have internet access.

When you get this far we will take the secure (encryption) step.

3. Shorelady

Shorelady Thread Starter

Ok, will try. I know there was a post on this site on how to log on to the router. Most likely I will be doing this Sunday morning. I need to do a few other things at home.

Thanks, TerryNet
    I am starting to think it's a waste to connect with the old computer but it would serve a purpose in my workshop. It has my camera program on it. Which, by the way is not compatible with Vista. That's another story.

4. Shorelady

Shorelady Thread Starter

TerryNet,

1. The cd I ran on my vista was the cd that came with the rangeplus wireless network usb adapter.

Step one stated in the instructions to always start with your router or gateway. So I assumed the cd should be run on my new computer/vista.

2. I did log into the router and found my SSID. I can change this to something I can remember. Correct?

3. During set-up it asked for the ssid...then it asked for the passphrase (pre-shared key or web key.) Now again I'm lost.

thanks for any help.

5. Shorelady

Shorelady Thread Starter

Terry,
    I am reading my instructions in regards about the wpa and wep. I will continue after I cook dinner. I know, more than u need to know! ;-)
    But, in the meantime, was I suppose to put the adapter in my new computer or old one? Then there is that little brown thing. I'm sorry to sound so silly.

Shorelady

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What's for dinner? Never mind, I see I'm probably too late for that.

Yes, you can set the SSID to whatever (within reason) you want. While you are in that area of the router make sure the encryption is set to 'off' or 'disabled' or something like that. Encryption (WPA, WPA2, WEP) is what we deal with right after getting a successful connection.

You install the USB wireless adapter on the machine that you want to communicate via wireless. In short, your oldie but goodie.

You can install it on the new PC to make sure the adapter itself works, but the rest of the Windows 98 experience will be a bit different.

7. Shorelady

Shorelady Thread Starter

ok...I will do this shortly....I'll get back this afternoon. Thanks!

dinner was great...pork ribs simmered in crushed tomatoes for 3 hrs. ;-)
    Shorelady

8. Shorelady

Shorelady Thread Starter

TerryNet..............

Monday...
    Last night I tried to finish installing the rangeplus wireless network usb adapter. It did not connect to the internet.

Plus, when I went attached the adapter to the old dell '98 computer it stated there is no driver. I even attached the brown thing to the old computer to see what happens. I don't see any info about that brown thing in my instructions either.

I'm thinking of giving up.
    I thought I could go wireless with my old desktop and use it in my workshop for a year. Than next year get rid of it and buy a laptop (after I recoup fm the cost of my new dell).

I'm starting to feel pretty stupid. You told me while I was in the area of the router make sure the encryption is set to "off" or disabled". I looked and I'm not sure where to find this in the router. I'm worst than I thought with the computer.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Have you referenced the user manual to see how to find different areas/settings in your router?

There must be a statement on the box in the manual for the adapter about which operating systems are supported. Is Windows 98 one of them?

Brown thing??? What model adapter did you get?

10. Shorelady

Shorelady Thread Starter

I will check my user manual in my router.

Yes, the adapter states supports windows 200, xp and vista. I think I bought the wrong one. I saw vista and thought I did good! :)
    I didn't think about my old computer being windows '98.

The model adapter is WUSB100. It has the adapter and a brown thing with a usb at one end and something else (which I have never seen before) at the other end. I could take a picture of it. There is nothing in the manual about it. Linksys Rangeplus wireless network usb adapter.

Shorelady
    p.s. I appreciate all ur help too.

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
  12. Shorelady

Shorelady Thread Starter

Terrynet,
    But, if I opened and tried it I don't think the store will take it back. I think that money is lost.

ok...thanks.
    Claire

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/721333

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice