LinkSys Router - assigning IP?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DebbyR

Hi,
I have the Linksys wireless router at home & at work. Both are working great, for most of the computers.
But I had someone enable the internal card in the laptop that we had fitted with an external card... since the new one would work better, but this person didn't know we had that & does things on his own... anyway, now I can not get either one of the cards to get an IP address from the router.
I need to know how to assign IP addresses anyway, since we need to make our router more secure.
Please help!

TerryNet

Terry
It spends some time trying to "acquire network address" and then gives up?

Suggest that you disable one of the cards, restart the PC, and try to connect.
I suppose there's an outside chance that the router has used up all its possible assigned addresses; not likely, but you could check that.
------------------------

Assigning IP address is probably not going to be your solution, but to do so:
go to Network Connections, right click on the connection, choose Properties;
click on "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and the resulting page, or Alternate Configuration, is where you can specify IP address. Note that you need to also specify mask, and maybe gateway and maybe DNS.

Using specific IP addresses will not make your network more secure. Crooks know how to get around that without breaking a sweat. Use encryption to make your network relatively secure.

DebbyR

Thanks,
I did your suggestion, several times... even disconnected my other computer to make sure there were enough connections available...

I don't understand where you come up with the numbers to assign an IP address...

Encryption. How would one go about doing that? Sorry, this is all new to me.

TerryNet

Terry
The manual for your router will tell you how to logon to it, how to configure your wireless network including encryption, and the router's IP address space. If you can't find a paper copy maybe there is one online.

When you logon to the router, you'll also be able to doublecheck to make sure that it is in fact assigning IP addresses (DHCP server enabled) and is not doing MAC address filtering. You should make these basic checks before looking more closely at the PC that cannot get an IP.

Try typing "TCP/IP tutorial" into yahoo or google or another search engine. I can try to answer questions if you run into confusions in the manual or a tutorial.

What OS and patch level are on the problem PC?

DebbyR

Thank you Terry,

I brought the laptop home & it connects just fine off of my home router, so you are right, its not the computer. It must be the settings I put on the router for limiting access. I will have to go back & study my settings again.

The laptop has HomeXP on it. Sorry, I don't know what patch level is??

I am about to give up on security for the router. I did download the book for the router, but its 61 pages long, and very small writing!

Well, eventually I will get the energy to go through it. In the meantime, if I can enable this laptop to connect, I will just unplug the router when I'm out of the office.

Thanks again.

The following option is available.

Server- Enter the IP Address of the BEFSR41 that you assigned. By default, the router is 192.168.1.1

Password- Enter the password you assigned the router. By default, the router’s password is “admin”.
------------------------------------------------------
This was from the readme on the firmware upgrade I did.

Just put 192.168.1.1 in the address bar and click ok.

It may be worth looking at the DHCP Pool, make sure you not exceeding the pool, or else it will stop allocation addresses for any extra devices you add...

Couriant

James
Pool is a gorup of IP addresses that computers take. If there 5 ip addresses in the pool and 6 computers, teh 6th machine wont get an ip address.

TerryNet

Terry
Adding to Tidus4Yuna's post on DHCP Pool:

After logon to my Belkin router I see two sections under "LAN Setup." The "Lan settings" section shows, among other information that my router is set to assign addresses from 192.168.2.2 thru 192.168.2.100; a total of 99.

The "DHCP Client List" section shows all the computers currently served. If my list were 99 long, no more computers would acquire an IP address. This is what clubfx2 was referring to when he suggested "looking at the DHCP Pool" and what I meant by "an outside chance that the router has used up all its possible assigned addresses."

Thanks guys for giving DebbieR the explanation on the DHCP pool.

Just a simple suggestion that may be hindering your connection...

Hope it helps????

Let us know the outcome???

Regards

DebbyR

Thanks!
I have taken all restrictions off of the router & am waiting to get time to read the manual on configuring the security.
Hurt my back last week, and discovered that muscle relaxants "relax" the BRAIN too! Duh... Uh??
Happy Canada Day everyone... hope we can find something to be happy about despite what the crazy government did this week! :eek:
Thanks guys,
Debby

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts