1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Linksys router/cable modem/dual PC setup?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by lotuseclat79, Nov 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Thread Starter

My neighbor has the following setup:
    1) a 3Com US Robotics Cable Modem CMX (RCN is the ISP provider)
    2) a Linksys WRT54Gv5 (wireless)
    3) a Gateway Win98SE (apparent IP address: 198.168.1.100)
    4) an HP Win XP Home SP2 (Ethernet 802.3 Adapter), Realtek RTL 8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet, IP Address 0.0.0.0

1), 2), and 3) are hooked up in the basement, and 4) is upstairs.

When running the the installation CD for the Linksys router in 4), the procedure gets to Step 7: Check the Router's Status with the following message:
    Unable to connect to the Router! Check that the Router has been connected to the PC, or reset the Router to factory default settings by pressing the Router's Reset button for 5 seconds. Ok.

Multiple Router resets and reboots (Cable, Router, RC) only a few times got a non-blinking Router, but the installation procedure never gets past this step and message.

The Gateway PC is able to access the Internet.

I understand this is not the best Linksys router, but what can be done to get the router/WinXP to connect? How, a procedure please?

Tia,

-- Tom

2. izzy1094

izzy1094

Is the problem machine hard wired or wireless to the router, and if it is wireless, what kind of signal strength do you have?

3. lotuseclat79

Hi izzy1094,

The problem machine is not hard wired, although I brought that up yesterday as a potential solution (just seemed logical to me, but what do I know anyway?).

So, since the router is a wireless, how can one check on the signal strength at the problem machine upstairs? And, if the signal strength turns out to not be enough, either how can it be boosted, or is running a cable from the router to the problem machine the only solution?

Tia,

-- Tom

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Hawking has a booster for 802.11b/g signals, and you can also install a hi-gain antenna to increase the range.

5. VirtualMe

VirtualMe

I'm new to Networking expecially to Wireless Networking, and I'm going to ask a stupid queston, so don't get mad. lol

Are you sure you are trying to connect through the wireless adapter or through a wired ethernet adapter on the HP?

The reason I ask is my laptop shows a wired Local Area Connection (Realtek RTL 8139/810x Family Fast) that I us a ethernet cable to connect with but a different adapter for my wireless connection when I open the Control Panel and click on Network Connections.

Note: My Desktop also shows the (Realtek RTL 8139/810x Family Fast) that is the wired connection adapter.

6. lotuseclat79

Hi All,

This afternoon I was able to download a Linksys PDF manual for router. I was wondering how the wireless router was going to connect to the HP - now I know whereas yesterday I did not.

Thanks for your input to all. Apparently, there is only a wired adapter in the HP (as mentioned by VirtualMe), and by reading the manual, I discovered the answer to my question that a wireless-G adapter is necessary to receive the signal from the router - which is probably why the installation procedure from the Linksys CD could not connect.

I'm sure my neighbor will be thrilled to know this, but at least by using the web browser based configuration utility from Linksys, once we get his hardware ready, then the rest of the installation should go more smoothly.

I did run across a way to check the signal strength, but didn't record it, so I have to go back and take another look.

Thanks all,

-- Tom

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/418350

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice