Status
Not open for further replies.

Linksys Router cannot communicate with DNS Server

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  heatho 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have a Lin
ksys router
(WRT54G) and a RCA Digital Broadband Modem (DCM425) and have been using them to connect wirelessly to 2 laptops without a problem.

The last few days I have not been able to connect wirelessly to either computer. I used the Ethernet cable to connect directly to the modem and I was able to get on the Internet. So, since the modem was not the problem I tried connecting the Ethernet cable to the router and couldn't connect to the Internet. I still get the message "Cannot communicate with primary DNS server
".

I called my Internet
provider
anyway and they said they saw I was hooked up to a Linksys router, and that the router was getting a valid ID address.

Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this problem with the router? Thanks!

#3 ·
Yes, I tried disconnecting everything many times. I also reset the router and I keep getting the message "Cannot communicate with the DNS server". I think it is weird that when I hook up the Ethernet cable to the router I cannot get on the Internet either. Could the DNS server be the problem or could the router just be shot?? Thanks

#4 ·
It's working...got my question answered on another tech support forum website. I was told to:

Let's start off with a Power Cycle. Test all your connections after.
1. Save all your current work, close all open applications, then shut down your computer. Wait for a minute.
2. First, turn your Router off and wait for a couple of minutes.
3. Turn off your modem.
4. Disconnect all the ethernet cables that are connected to the router and modem and the PC.
5. Reconnect them and ensure that there are no loose connections in between them.
6. Now, switch on your PC and let it boot.
7. Switch on the modem first and after it gets initialized, switch on the router.

This solved the problem while unplugging everything and waiting a few minutes did not. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.