1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Linksys Router Disconnects when when listening to steaming audio......

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by robbieart, Dec 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. robbieart

robbieart Thread Starter

I am having a serious problem. This has been going on for months now and I don't know what is going on. I try to listen to music through Yahoo's music site or through xmradio.com and every time I try to listen to a song my router disconnects and kicks me off the internet. In order for me to get connected again I have to unplug my router and plug it back in. I have updated the firmware on my route to the lastest version. The only thing that I can think of is it is a problem with the drivers with my network card that are somehow causing the problem. Has anyone ever heard of this before? Could it be my router is just giving out?

Thanks in advance for any help that someone can provide......

Robbie.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Try this experiment. Remove the router and connect directly to the broadband modem and do the test again. My guess is the real problem is the signal to your modem, not the router.

3. robbieart

robbieart Thread Starter

Ok, this is what I did. I am using DSL so I have to connect using PPPoE... I used the software to connect directly to the dsl. It worked just fine. I'm able to surf and go to any website that I want without being kicked off. I just went to yahoo and xmradio.com and both worked fine.

4. SirKenin

SirKenin Banned

See if the router is getting hot. I had a Linksys on PPoE and I never had that problem.

5. robbieart

robbieart Thread Starter

My router does get hot... I'm not sure if it is too hot or not. You think I might have fried it?

6. SirKenin

SirKenin Banned

Not necessarily fried it. But when it gets hot I can see it messing up. Usually Linksys doesn't do that (it's Dlink that does it), but it might be that you have a component of your router that is heat sensitive. Try and get innovative with ways to cool it down. Wrap it in icecubes or something crazy like that (make sure the bag is sealed). Try to do whatever it takes to keep the temps down and see if it makes any difference.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, just directing a small household fan directly on it should do wonders for cooling if it's a overheating issue.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/427307

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice