LinkSys router, need TCP packets forwarded to two PCs on network

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jamescricket

http://www.portforward.com/help/portforwarding.htm

Now that you understand the general concepts of a network, explaining port forwarding is easy. When a computer on the internet sends data to the external ip address of the router, the router needs to know what to do with the data. Port Forwarding simply tells the router which computer on the local area network to send the data to. When you have port forwarding rules set up, your router takes the data off of the external ip address: port number and sends that data to an internal ip address: port number. Port Forwarding rules are created per port. So a rule set up for port 53 will only work for port 53.

A port can only be used by one program at a time! Think of how this rule interacts with NAT. Well you've only got one external ip address on your router. When computer 1 is using port 500, it is using port 500 on it's internal ip address. If you have set up a port forwarding rule for computer 1 and port 500, the external ip address's port 500 is also in use. This means that you can only use port 500 on one computer on the network at a time. Using port 500 on two computers at the same time would violate the one program rule, and your data would get messed up. Most routers require you to specify an internal ip address to forward ports to, just for this reason. Some do not, so be aware of this. Port Forwarding rules will only work for one computer at a time!
looking for a way around this rule, on a Wireless B LinkSys router (not useing wireless function)

basically, I have 2 computers here, one modem, one router, and want to both computers to be able to connect to a game of age of kings along with other players from outside the network

problem is, I can only forward the Dplayerserver port and the TCP/UDP ports to one computer on the network, meaning the other computer on the network can join the game, but recieves no data from players "outside" the network,

anything I can do with this router? or do I need to buy a Dlink router

the game is age of empires II

Buying a DLink router won't help you any -- it'll do the same thing. You cannot forward the same port to multiple computers (IP addresses) on your LAN; this is a limitation of the NAT method used by the router.

jamescricket

other posters in the games forum (before a mod suggested I post it here since it was more about networking than the game itself) seem to be able to play games on their network with players outside their network

and one gave me instructions on how to set it up on a Dlink router

there has got to be a way for players on a network to play with players on the internet hasnt there?

There are ways of doing this. However, you will have to buy a more sophisticated firewall, such as a watchguard or similar. These little cable/dsl routers are pretty limited and designed for the basic home user. Whether you have a Linksys, Netgear, or D-Link, they will all operate pretty much the same way.

Wouldn't 1 in the DMZ and one with ports forwarded = 2 people that can play? mind you I have not tried this but I would think if the DMZ is supposed to drop all port restrictions it may work.

In all though if you have 2 people playing the same internet game I am thinking your going to want 2 IP's.

That may work. But keep in mind that putting a machine on the DMZ is just like having NO ROUTER at all. It will be completely exposed to the Internet.

On most home routers, DMZ is like the port forwarding, you can open one computer to the internet

jiml8

Look at the "port triggering" functions in these small routers. I have a DLink router that supports it, and I have worked on Linksys that support it. Just a couple of hours ago I was remotely accessing and configuring a router for a client of mine (a Belkin) and it supports it.

Basically, you can't violate the one to one map between forwarded ports and destination computers, for all kinds of reasons. What you can do - and it is commonly supported by these home routers - is set up an environment where the two computers on your local LAN each open a different port to access the internet game, and the port triggering function causes the router to be intelligent about where to route outside connections that occur in response. Of course, this requires you to be able to specify which port(s) an inbound connection can appear on, and the port(s) to be forwarded on trigger must be unique ranges.

http://www.portforward.com/help/porttriggering.htm

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online