1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Linksys router not working

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dallaspeg, Jan 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dallaspeg

dallaspeg Thread Starter

I have read all the previous letters and have not found an answer to my problem, can anybody suggest anything? Thanks. All lights are working.
    BEFSR41- EtherFast® Cable/DSL Router with 4-Port Switch

ZyXEL Prestige 600 series DSL modem

Using Win2k. I was connected for about a month and a half with no problems. Now I can no longer log on to the internet via the router. I have to connect the dsl cable to my computer and set up winpoet. I can also connect with winpoet using the 4 port hub from Linksys. I have tried different cables and even a new nic card. Using the router, whenever I try to go to http://192.168.1.1 I get the 'Cannot find server' screen. No internet connection available. Do you have any suggestions? I have uninstalled everything, and started from scratch. Nothing seems to work. Could I have a defective router?

Peggie

2. endeana

endeana

HI;

You didn't mention whether or not you've done a reset on the router? There are two types of reset. The first one simply runs the router through a boot process the other completely resets the routers settings. The latter you will have to then go back into the routers software and log in all of your IP address information. This should fix the problem. Go to Linksys website and download the manual in PDF for your model and then follow the instructions on how to set it up.

Mark

3. dallaspeg

dallaspeg Thread Starter

Oh, yes, I have reseted. I have had the router disconnected for three days. I didn't have time to deal with it. My problem is I cannot go back into the routers software and log in all of my IP address information. I have read the book so many times I am going dizzy. I waited on the phone with Linksys for 1 hour, but had to hang up before I got any help. I have even emailed them a few times. I am online just fine with my hub, also Linksys. I just want to be able to use the router. Thanks for the help.
    Peggie

4. nczman

nczman

you have the same router that I have. There is a reset button somewhere that resets everything back to factory settings.

it is a physical button on the back.

5. dallaspeg

dallaspeg Thread Starter

I have tried that numerous times also. I know the cables are good, they worked before on the router and they work now with the hub. After I power everything off, and leave all off for a day, I tried to start from scratch. My problem is I cannot go back into the routers software and log in all of my IP address information. Using the router, whenever I try to go to http://192.168.1.1 I get the 'Cannot find server' screen. No internet connection available.
    Thanks, Peggie

6. endeana

endeana

Peg;

Just a note. When I clicked on http://192.168.1.1 from your reply I was immediaetly take to a user name and password. Are you getting the same thing? Or are you getting cannot find server?

Mark

7. dallaspeg

dallaspeg Thread Starter

whenever I try to go to http://192.168.1.1 I get the 'Cannot find server' screen. No internet connection available.

8. endeana

endeana

I haven't helped you much but I am going to ask a couple of friends this weekend that are quite knowledgeable with Linksys. It would appear to me that from my end I am getting into the system and you are not. You said that you are able to be on the internet by using just your hub? Have you gone to start, run, and typed in winipcfg? If not do that and look there to see what your default gateway is? It should be 192.168.1.1, if it's not then click on renew all and reboot then check again. I'm wondering by you using winpoet and connecting through the hub if you haven't changed your default gateway. If you have you cannot use the router until you reset everything including your computer settings.

Mark

9. dallaspeg

dallaspeg Thread Starter

I'm pretty sure I did that the last time, but I will try again tomorrow. I have to go to work now, but have Saturday and Sunday off and I will just be home watching football, so that will be a good time to try it all again. I was thinking that it might be easier to set up the router using the computer that is running Win ME. That is the second computer. The main computer is running Win 2K. Thanks for all the help. I'll check back after work and see if you have more suggestions.
    Thanks, Peggie

10. endeana

endeana

Peg;

That's the way I have my network set up. I am using the ME machine as the machine that i logged all of the linksys info to. My XP machine and another win 98 machine once plugged into the hub automatically logged onto to the internet. I didn't run any of the XP wizzards or anything. I would suggest doing the same as 2000 is the same platform as XP.

ME

11. English Guy

English Guy

If you have reset your router, then all of your winpoet information will have gone, and will need to be set up again.
    If you are unable to get into the Linksys, you may have the wrong cable or a bad port on the linksys. There are 2 types of cables, a crossover & a straight through. Both look exactly the same. To make sure you have the correct cable, try this -

Plug in ONLY the computer to the Linksys, and see if you getting a green light on the Network Card in your computer, and also if the 3 lights flicker on the front of the Linksys. If they don't, try another cable and another port.
    Also try opening up an MS-DOS prompt & type "ping 192.168.1.1".

12. dallaspeg

dallaspeg Thread Starter

Yes, I have the right cables. cannot ping the address with the router, only with hub or direct connection. All lights are working.
    Peggie

13. English Guy

English Guy

If you have reset the router, all the lights are working, and you have the correct cables connected, the only other possible cause that you cannot access the router through 192.168.1.1 is that the router itself is bad, or the software on the router has been corrupted.
    Have you tried downloading a newer version of code for the router from the Linksys website?

14. dallaspeg

dallaspeg Thread Starter

I emailed Linksys and asked them how I could get another router. I tried again from scratch this morning, with no luck. I am back to using Win Poet with the hub. I just thought it would be easier with the router. Thank you, everybody who offered suggestions. I will let you know what Linksys says.
    Peggie

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66171

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice