1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Linksys Router Power Adapter

Discussion in 'Networking' started by NoelNNY, Aug 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NoelNNY

NoelNNY Thread Starter

Hi -

First post for me - but what a helpful site!

I have a Linksys WRT54GX, ver. 2, wireless G router to which I have lost the ac power adapter. The manual lists it as a 12 volt DC 1 amp (12VDC 1 A).

I have been to Radio Shack, Best Buy, and numerous electronic outlets, as well as exhaustive searches on the net, as well as contacting Linksys directly (they will not sell one separate! Imagine that for tech support!).

You guessed it - I cannot find one. I even went to my pack rat brother who probably has beat Noah and has collected at least one, if not two of everything on Earth - just in case, as he says!

Anyone have any idea where I can get one of these things?

The ones I have found are 12VDC but .5a, 1.something amps, but none are 1 amp.

Anything anyone can chime in on would be appreciated.

(No there is no USB connection on the router to draw power from the CPU, either! Darn!)

Thanks

Noel in Northern NY!:confused:

2. Sponsor

3. jp1203

jp1203

one amp is 1000 mas (milliamperes), so you could try looking for 12 V 1000ma

4. jp1203

jp1203

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

All you need is an adapter that supplies the current at the proper voltage. You can buy the matching plug at Radio Shack and roll your own.

6. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I can't believe Linksys is that limited. I had this issue with a D-Link a while back and they said they could get me a replacement but I didn't want to pay what they were asking.

7. Squashman

8. NoelNNY

NoelNNY Thread Starter

"J", John, and Squashman -

Hey - thanks very much!!! A 6 month problem solved in less than 24 hrs!!

WOOOOOWWWW!!!

"J" - I used your google link - and Radio Shack has these in stock locally!!

Now all I need is the wireless Internet service provider to come though where i live in the country and bring me wireless service so I can "network" my house.

I bought the router for my son who went to school out of state - at least he came home with the router and did not leave THAT behind!

I also need to chew out my brother - ummmm, and electrical engineer! he could have told me 1 A = 1000 mA!!!! Come to think of it, the Radio Shack guy should have known that too when I was in the store. Oh well -

THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH!!

PS: Squashman - "Roll my own"??? You mean solder on the connector pin, eh???

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Yes, I meant solder the matching connector on if you can't find an adapter that has the correct sized connector.

The two supplies that Squashman pointed out have universal plug adapters, so you just get the correct one and put it on the wire.

Watch the polarity of the connection, don't get it backwards! :D

10. Squashman

There is only one thing in my life that I have rolled my own. ;)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/604339

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice