1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Linksys router problems

Discussion in 'Networking' started by DVOM, Dec 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVOM

DVOM Thread Starter

At work we've got a network with 8 machines. 4 are XP Pro and 4 are W2K.

The ISP provided modem/router doesn't have DHCP capability so all machines were connected by IP's assigned by the ISP.

For security reasons I wanted the router to assign the IP's. After 3 months of trying our ISP couldn't provide the type of router we wanted and told me to daisy chain one to their router.

So the setup I've got now is:

ISP provided modem/router >
    Linksys BEFSR41 router >
    2 hubs with 6 ports each >
    8 machines.

The problems:

1) None of us can send an email with an attachment.

2) The owner does EBay, his machine and some others can't open EBay. I'm also unable to post to this forum from my work machine.

3) We've tried 2 Linksys routers, the first was occasionally dropping connection to 3 or 4 machines thoughout the day. This made the W2K machine we use as a print server to be unavailable. Rebooting the router fixed this, but a few hours later it would do the same thing. The second Linksys router still exhibits the first 2 problems, it hasn't been in the network long enough to know if it's going to drop connections to some machines.

With the first Linksys I was able to fix problem 2 by adjusting the MTU size setting from disabled to enabled and set to 1492. The second router isn't responding to MTU adjustments.

Any thoughts on this?

TIA

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/307892

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice