1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Linksys Router problems.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by kkurkowski, Feb 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kkurkowski

kkurkowski Thread Starter

Something is going wrong with the Linksys router I am using.

The computers that are connecting wirelessly can see all the access points, but does not get a IP address from DHCP. Then when I go unplug the router and plug it back in the computer gets a IP address.

The router has the latest Firmware that is out for the router. Is the router going bad?

2. into9rod

into9rod

The router is ok lets re -configure it

ok>
    -go to this address 192.168.1.1
    -as password type admin or your password.
    -On setup pick Automatic configuration -DHCP
    -On wireless - click channel 6
    -On wireless security pick WEP and a hex password
    -Administration check wireless access web

then>
    Start, control panel, network connections, right click on your connection properties click on TCP/IP /Properties , obtain an ip address automatically.

Good luck

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/netacad/index.html

Imagination rules the world - Napoleon

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    How many computers are connecting wirelessly?

What do you mean by "all the access points"? Your router's plus others?

How many computers are having the problem of not obtaining an IP configuration until the router is power cycled? All? Only one? Some?

For the computer(s) having the problem, is there anything else involved, such as Stand By or Hibernation? They have the problem on a fresh boot?

What about ethernet connections; do they have the same problem?

4. srhoades

srhoades

How old is the router? I've noticed that Linksys routers generally don't die, they shows signs of aging one of which is DHCP issues.

5. kkurkowski

This is already done. Been done like this. This is how I set it up.

6. kkurkowski

I have a Linksys Wireless Router and then 7 Linksys Wireless Access Points. Probably about 15 - 20 people connect to the wireless. If the computer is slaready connected and the IP address hasn't expired then that computer is fine connected to it. But once it is expired then the router has to be recylced. Happening to even the hard wired people too.

They still have a problem on fresh boot until the router is recylced. So it all leads back to the router. This is happening to everyone.

7. kkurkowski

Not sure. That I know of over 2 years old.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I tend to agree with srhoades. To try to get some more life out of the router while you are shopping reset the router to factory default settings and then reconfigure it.

9. into9rod

into9rod

i will assign a range of ips but i dont know how to it in your router , and the subnetmask have to be the same for all the computers i read about it maybe theres another router in the range of that computers ok so if one of those clients are connecting to that DHCP router #2 it can affect in someway because its going to assign a different ip that is not in the range of your routers so when the DHCP service Recycles the ips in your area it detects another subnetmask or another ips.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://cisco.netacad.net/cnams/error/SessionTimeOut.jsp

Imagination rules the World-Napoleon

10. kkurkowski

Tried resetting it many times and reconfiguring it and it is still doing the same thing.

11. kkurkowski

A router and a Wireless Access Point are 2 different network devices. A wireless access point allows a wireless computer to connect to a network wireless. WAP's do not have DHCP on them. WAP's just allow a computer to connect to a network wireless and then go to the DHCP server for an IP address. There is only 1 DHCP Server on the network in which the Linksys Router is the DHCP Server. And that is the only router on the network.

12. into9rod

into9rod

do you have another modem connected to the router? or the router is a combo modem/router?

13. kkurkowski

The Router is connected to the Cable Modem so it can get a WAN IP address and give internet to everyone. Thats it though.

Cable Modem > Router > 2 Hubs > Access Points and Hard Wired Computers

14. srhoades

srhoades

So are the computers connecting to the Linksys or the AP's? If just he AP's move one so it connects to the linksys and see if it gets an adress then. The problem may be with the AP not passing the DHCP request properly. Have you upgraded the firmware in the AP's?

15. kkurkowski

But the computer that are hard wired are having the same problem. There not going through the AP's. All the AP's have the same firmware.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/681948

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice