1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Linksys router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Mobirdie, Jan 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mobirdie

Mobirdie Thread Starter

Yesterday we changed from Cable tv and cable modem to dish network and wireless broadband. My router worked just fine prior to the installation but now only one computer can be online at a time.

I have called tech support and of course it's the router problem according to them. They are telling me that some numbers in the router need to be changed but nobody can explain to me how to do that. We went to the Linksys website and their live support feature and this guy was talking greek and both hubby and myself were totally confused when he finished what he was positive was going to fix the problem.

We have even unplugged the router, turned off both computers, waited five minutes then turned the router back on and then booted up the computers which is supposed to reset the router and may have done so but it didn't fix the net access problem for us.

I would appreciate any help at all with this problem.

I can't seem to find where to change my email address on here so please send any replies to [email protected]

TIA

2. jetfuel

jetfuel

I've found wireless routers to be a challenge. The last one I worked on turned out to be one of the cables had a short in the 3rd wire. Had that fixed and have had no problems since.
    Some lessons I've learned are to Keep it simple at first. Start with one computer and go straight from your supplier to that computer than when that one is working hook up the router. Go into the router to configure it and remember to keep it simple. Once you get that one working you can hook up any wireless or hardcabled computers.
    I'm quite sure there is a wealth of knowledge out there that and some other suggestions. I would also like to hear more on this subject.

Thanks and Good luck - - J

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Make sure you have the cable modem connected to the WAN port on the router.

Typically the default setting for routers is for DHCP. You can just leave it that way.

Then have each computer configured to obtain an IP address automatically.

4. Mobirdie

Mobirdie Thread Starter

Please forgive my CRS moment, we didn't get wireless broadband, it's just broadband via a satelite dish. The router is not wireless either.

Some tech's have told me I need to change the settings in the router but nobody can tell me how I am supposed to do that. I am not a novice at the computer and felt quite comfortable with one until yesterday. But I have no clue how to access the router to change any settings.

I tried plugging the cord into the Wan port and that didn't do anything either.

Do I just need to buy a new router or would that do any good at all. The one I have is just barely over two years old.

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If the modem is connected to the WAN port, and if the other computers are connected to the Ethernet ports, and if at least one computer can get on, see what IP address information that computer has.

Open up a DOS window and run:
    IPCONFIG /ALL

See what IP address, subnet mask, DNS and Gateway IP address information you are getting.

6. Old Rich

Old Rich

When changeing modems and routers I turn off all pc's, the modem and router . . then start modem . . let it stabilize . . turn on router . . let it stabilize and then turn on one pc at a time.

This lets the modem link to the router, then the router to thepc's

wrs

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Mobirdie,

Since you stated in the first post that you have powered off and on the router, it should have picked whatever it could from the cable modem.

Also the default setting for most routers is to be set for DHCP. So with a computer configured to obtain an IP address automatically:

1. See what IP address you are getting. I seem to recall that Linksys has a default router setting of 192.168.1.x so the actual IP address should be something with that scheme. If that is the case, then you should also have 255.255.255.0 as the subnet mask and 192.168.1.1 for both the gateway and DNS. Can you please post what you are getting assigned.

2. If that all looks right, then try accessing http://192.168.1.1. This should be the default web page for changing the router's settings.

As far as what else to do from their, your ISP's tech support can hopefully provide the details.

8. rboliva

rboliva

linksys routers is supposed to be designed to work with cable/dsl connections.
    but if you have that kind of connection, try this bob cerelli's suggestion.
    With regards with the router's configuration, by default it was set to auto dhcp,
    get all this information, ip address(192.168.1.x), subnet mask(255.255.255.0),
    gateway(192.168.1.1), DNS numbers. Set static ip on the linksys router...
    and power cycle the devices(turn off all of your devices), turning the modem
    on first, wait for that to boot, next your linksys router then your pc... pm me
    if that does not work.

9. garyk_52

garyk_52

Some tech's have told me I need to change the settings in the router but nobody can tell me how I am supposed to do that. I am not a novice at the computer and felt quite comfortable with one until yesterday. But I have no clue how to access the router to change any settings.

Are you talking about accessing the setup page for the router? If so, open internet explorer and type in 192.168.1.1 in the address bar and it should take you to the router setup page.

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

What steps have you done so far regarding my previous post?

For example, what IP address is the computer being assigned. Don't see that being posted yet. Have asked twice but still no information.

11. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

What is "PPP adapter Connect to Fast Freedom"

Why is Net bios over Tcpip: disabled

Can you describe how the broadband, router and computers are all physically connected.

12. Mobirdie

Mobirdie Thread Starter

Fast Freedom is our server. I have no idea why anything is disabled or connected for that matter. I'm in foreign territory here.

The cable from the internet dish that is on top of the house runs under the house and up through the floor to the router, and both computers are connected to the router.

Nothing is plugged into the Wan port of the router, my computer is in #4 port, DH's computer is in #2 port, the input from the antenna is in the uplink port.

13. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If nothing is plugged into the WAN port on the router, that would explain why only one computer can connect to the Internet at a time.

Again, generally you connect up your broadband (cable, DSL or in this case sattelite) to the WAN port of the router

Your computers connect to the Ethernet ports on the router.

14. Mobirdie

Mobirdie Thread Starter

Wahoooooo we finally managed to get everything configured like it needed to be and we are now happy campers. I ended up going to the linksys website and printed out all 130 pages of the instruction manual. Using the manual, moving the incoming cable to the Wan port and going online to the http:192.168.1.1 website we were finally able to get things working. For some reason the box for "always dial a connection" was checked and until we discovered that we were not able to go anywhere offline such as the 192 site. If this makes any sense I applaud you because I'm still a bit confused but the bottom line is everything is working fine now and we are thrilled.

Thank you all so very much for all of your help, I know I can always count on the people here to come running when I have a problem I can't fix.

NEXT QUESTION???? By posting the IP configuration information above have I left myself wide open for a hacker?

To be on the safe side I think I will delete it.

15. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Looks like that was already taken care of.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323989

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice