1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Linksys Switch/Router problems

Discussion in 'Networking' started by skatch, Nov 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. skatch

skatch Thread Starter

Hello everyone, I read a few of the threads but I could not really find one that was similar to my problem.

I have a 4 port D'Linksys Switch/Router, myself and my 2 roomates are hooked up to it on High speed cable internet service.

The problem we are having is that our Router seems to just quit after a bit and needs to be reset. All of the lights are on, there is cable supply but we all lose our connection. I am pretty sure it has to do with the Router because when my Roomate hooks up his plain switch thins seem to work fine.

We have 2 IP adresses on our account, I was wondering if maybe that causes the Router problems.

Anyone have any adivce?

Thanks.

2. tekgurl

tekgurl

Hi skatch...welcome to TSG!

Some points for clarification...Linksys is different from D-Link, with the way you described the problem, it's quite not clear which one you're using.

Also, when using a router, you don't have to have 2 accounts from your provider.

For the problem of internet connection that's not stable, you may wanna check if your router already has the latest firmware. You may also check the ip address of your modem, coz there may be a conflict somewhere.

Good luck!

3. smooth26

smooth26

check for mtu of the router

4. skatch

skatch Thread Starter

Sorry about that, it is a Linksys Cable Router. I know you only need one account, we have two at the moment and will likely be getting rid of one, I was wondering if having two would confuse the router somehow.

I am not very good when it comes to these sort of things, are there maybe some settings on the router that I need to fiddle with.

Also I don't think I explained very well my problem the first time.

I play an MMORPG and the internet connection seems fine sometimes, and at peak times it tends to start crapping out every so often. I am pretty sure its not the actual connection because all of the lights on the modem look fine. Is it possible that my Router is starting to wear out, it seems to happen when all of us are home and using the internet, and during peak times.

A lot of questions there sorry hehe. :)

<edit> How would I go about updating the routers firmware?

Thanks

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/181971

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice