1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Linksys Trouble

Discussion in 'Networking' started by rne783, Apr 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rne783

rne783 Thread Starter

I purchased the Linksys wireless router and I am currently running 2 computers off it. One is directly connected to it and the other by antenna. I have access to Internet explorer and all of that, but not Aol Instant Messenger. I can only sign on for a few minutes then I am disconnected. I found out a while ago that AIM is not NAT friendly, whatever that means.. but, I tried changing the port number to just a random number and I was able to sign on to AIM for a while on and off.. but never for a long period of time. I have called all sorts of tech supports and they all say its not the wireless router, but it has to be. I don't know anymore.. I'm so sick of this I just need some answers.

2. telepro21

telepro21

In order to determine if the wireless link is the trouble, let me ask a question: Does AIM work properly on the PC that is directly connected to your router?

3. rne783

rne783 Thread Starter

At first it didnt work at all on either, then after I changed the Connection preferences on AIM from some port number to just a random number then it started working on and off today. It will stay connected for about 5 minutes at the most at a time, then a box comes up saying i've been disconnected and it's trying to reconnect, then it goes back on. This is happenning on both computers. Just about 20 minutes ago I decided to unplug the router from the modem and just hook up that one computer directly to the modem, and everything worked fine, the AIM worked fine also... so this is what is leading me to believe it is the router itself and not my cable connection or anything else.

4. telepro21

telepro21

What model Linksys router are you using? Is there a possibility that there are any session timers invoked? Does the actual internet connection ever drop?

5. rne783

rne783 Thread Starter

It's a Linksys Wireless B broadband router(2.4 ghz). As far as I can tell, there is no session timer. The internet connection never drops. Just AIM and the service I had switched to before (Trillian). Is it possible that it is the router?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217119

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice