1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Linksys USB 2 adapter--links to Airport Extreme but not to internet?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Wehake, Apr 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Wehake

Wehake Thread Starter

I have a Linksys compact Wireless USB adapter (model WUSB54GC) that links to my MacAirport Extreme router on an old Compaq Presario--but I want to use it on my Dell Dimension 2400 because the Dell has USB 2.0, while the Compaq only has 1.1

The message I get when trying to hook up to the Internet on the Dell is as follows: "You are currently connected to the access point, but the Internet cannot be found." I have tried using the Windows WZC utility instread of the Linksys WLAN utility. When I do this, I still get the message: "You are currently connected to this network... and "acquiring network address."

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but nothing seems to work on the Dell. The adapter seems fine (it works in the USB 1. slot on the Compaq, but very lethargically). I have Windows XP on both machines, with SP 2.

Any ideas? Thanks for help!
    -- Wehake

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Your router's Dhcp server is enabled, right?

Try w/o encryption.

3. Wehake

Wehake Thread Starter

Thanks -- yes, I did both. The Linksys USB drive works just fine on my Compaq-- it's the darn Dell that won't cooperate.
    -- Wehake

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you haven't already, try restarting the router before using the adapter in the Dell.

Post an ipconfig /all for the Dell using the adapter. I realize it's not getting an IP, but maybe there will be another clue there.

5. jmwills

jmwills

What is the router connected to, another PC or a boradband modem?

6. Wehake

Wehake Thread Starter

It's connected to a cable modem--which works fine with the router for other computers in the house.

7. jmwills

jmwills

You need to go onto the router setup program and see if the Dell is indeed getting a valid IP address from the router, and if so, then look to see if youhave blocked any addresses from getting access to the outside.
    Most will use the term filtering for this process.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/560200

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice