1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Linksys Wireless-B PCI Adapter Trouble

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Campbell685, Jun 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Campbell685

Campbell685 Thread Starter

Hey guys,

I recently installed Windows XP Home on my computer that was previously running 98SE. I'm using a Linksys Wireless-B PCI Card to connect wirelessly to my network. For months its worked fine, but now with XP, the card doesn't want to work. I can connect to the internet for maybe 5 minutes, then the connection breaks down. I've got a Wireless-G router, which is compatible with the Wireless-B card. I think that the problem may have something to do with Windows XP's built in wireless network program, but I'm still not sure. I'll try to boot my machine up on 98 today to see if that may be the problem.

Thanks again,
    John

2. qldit

qldit

G'day Campbell685, these kinds of problems are nothing new to WXP, especially if you have loaded SP-2 over the top.
    It often affects USB's as well, most especially on machines with AMD processors.
    There are some notes on MS's boards about it but it appears the problem is due to drivers being affected somehow.
    I have addressed some of these odd types of problems by using Johnwill's suggestion of slipstreaming WXP with SP-2 and finding things then worked again on at least one problem board..
    The slipstreaming program mixes both the raw WXP and the SP-2 and you then make a new modified installation disk. You will need a burner and use a slow speed to ensure the burn is good.
    A bit of a pain having to do it but it certainly does help with odd unexplainable problems.
    The program I used was "Autostreamer" Google should find it, it is a freebee.
    I placed the SP-2 on the hard drive and combined from there.
    The destructions are simple and it is a worthy exercise.
    Cheers, qldit.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!